On-one pompino tyre widths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone got one that can tell me the widest tyre I can get on the back of it with mudguards?

I'm running 23's at the moment with raceguards but am thinking ahead to the winter and would like to put some marathon winters on it but as they only come in 35 & 40 and loook to be pretty high volume not sure if they will fit?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
What mudguards have you got?
I also suspect that those tyres will not fit on the rims you have. Which wheels do you have?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
the mudguard width will limit tyre size, the frame will take up to 45mm iirc. i've had 35mm on mine (kenda 8 block) and there was loads of room

OP
OP
Piemaster

Piemaster

Guru
Hmmm.. thanks for the replys.
Looks like I might just manage to get the 35mm marathon winters on with 'guards then, with careful selection.
Using roadracers at the moment, but as in my OP looking for something a bit more resilient as the roadracers rattle quite a bit even though I'm quite impressed with them overall, even over a couple of weeks of Scottish rain.

Maybe a set of sks guards, the widest I can get in the frame will do it, even if they will be in the way a bit for removing the rear alfine wheel in event of unplanned deflations. Not had one though -he says touching the sideboard- since fitting the durano plus tyres.

Gaz - you are almost certainly right about the wheels/tyres not working. Using on-one A57 rims at the moment, but hoping to get an upgrade to an alfine 11 and a new wheel built before winter anyway. Ideally I'd like a rim that will take a 25/28 most of the year and the marathon winters for the other bit.

buddha

Veteran
I have wide mudguards on my pompino - 45mm SKS bluemels.
For off-road stuff I've been using Conti Twister tyres (37mm) on Mavic A719 rims. Which are pretty strong, and although being 19mm wide, can take a 25mm tyre for road only rides

edit: forgot to say, I did have to make a couple of cut-outs on the rear guard - where they meet the chainstays at the BB, but that was easy enough.

OP
OP
Piemaster

Piemaster

Guru
I have wide mudguards on my pompino - 45mm SKS bluemels.
For off-road stuff I've been using Conti Twister tyres (37mm) on Mavic A719 rims. Which are pretty strong, and although being 19mm wide, can take a 25mm tyre for road only rides

edit: forgot to say, I did have to make a couple of cut-outs on the rear guard - where they meet the chainstays at the BB, but that was easy enough.

That was exactly the guards I was looking at earlier on :thumbsup:.
I've just ordered a front wheel, disc capable dynohub with a rigida synper rim (17.5) so should be good for a road tyre and marathon winters or snow studs. The back wheel will get the same rim at some point.
I've also decided to retire the Alpina all-carbon forkand cantis in favour of the pompetamine disc-specific one at the same time. Theres a couple of marks on the carbon steerer above the headset and considering the punishment its had lately over the Aberdeenshire roads I'm going to err on cautious side. And I prefer discs.

Just a thought - any reason I couldn't swap the guard stays around ie. put the quick release stays on the back to make getting the back wheel out easier without having to unbolt stays? Or am I just seeing a problem that doesn't actually exist?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
off topic.

after gaz's comments i tried to find max tyre width for my wheels. i got the weinman ones and the spec says 18mm wide. anyone know max tyre size for my rims?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
answered my own question, looked at sheldon site and confirmed with on-one tech dept. 28mm to 35mm, but they say running down to 23mm is ok, good job, that's what i've got on.

buddha

Veteran
...Just a thought - any reason I couldn't swap the guard stays around ie. put the quick release stays on the back to make getting the back wheel out easier without having to unbolt stays? Or am I just seeing a problem that doesn't actually exist?
Just position the tail of the guard about an inch further out than normal, when you fit them - that should be enough. And/Or deflate the tyre as well when removing the wheel - if the p'fairy hasn't already done that for you ;)

mnqslbs2

Forgive me for posting to an old thread but I have a very related question.
I have a Pompino II (slightly tweaked frame compared to the original Pompino) and wondered if anyone has any ideas of the max mudguard width (hoping for 45mm SKS Longboard) and tyre width (looking at getting some Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x38c) that I could use? I'd be happy to modify the mudguards with cutouts to pass the seat stays etc but dont want to buy somthing too wide in the first place.
Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom