One commute; two incidents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mumbo jumbo

After a few years of essentially incident free commuting (the odd "tut-tut" and choice word or two for sure, but nothing where I thought that was scarily dangerous), I had two on my commute home last night.

The first was a ridiculously close wing-mirror-brushing-jacket pass by an Audi (I think) 4x4 on Church Road in Moseley. I gave chase and was doing pretty well until I had to slow down behind something which pulled out of a side road. I was in secondary but the road is wide here so it was completely unnecessary.

The second was having to brake to a skiddy halt on the roundabout on the Wake Green Road by Sarehole Mill to avoid hitting / being hit by a car joining from a side road. Classic SMIDSY - only just avoided him. Didn't stop or acknowledge or anything.

I have 4 back lights (2 helmet; 1 seatpost; 1 rack) and 4 front lights (3 helmet; 1 handlebar) set to a mix of steady and flashing - the proverbial Christmas tree! I checked my lights at home. All are working well except the rack mounted rear light where the output is weak - time for a new battery. What more can you do?

Avid forumites may have noticed that I'm in the process of unearthing an old helmet cam. Pity I wasn't ready sooner or I would have had some choice footage (and language) to share!

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Doesn't matter how many lights you've got flashing if the tit driving the Q7 is staring at his phone as they have a habit of doing. They should fit a bell to the roof of those things to warn other road users there's one coming.

Top Bottom