One for the gardeners... bluebells and other flowering plants

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've got a small front yard and it's borders are filled with Bluebells.

Since brexit, I've decided that they're no longer welcome and want to dig the Spanish feckers up and put in some proper British bluebells (note: my tongue is in my cheek).

There's also a small handful of snowdrops which came and went a month or two ago, and I'd like more of them.

I'd also like some more flowering plants which will emerge throughout late spring and summer... question is, what will sit in the soil along with the bluebells and pop up later?

I imagine a blue, purple and lilac palette... so would rather avoid cheesy yellow daffodils, reds or pinks. I'm also keen on bulbs which will pop up and eventually feck off rather than bushes such as roses or whatever... but I'm open to options. Nothing too big... just a variety of colour at ground level from late winter through to autumn would be nice.

Ideally minimum maintenance plants which will sit in an east facing shady position. A sycamore tree over hangs it and a 6ft hedge is to the south, so the light is dappled at best. It's quite sheltered as the house and hedge protects the area from the prevailing wind.

:smile:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Tulips are always a nice surprise .... unless of course you planted the bulbs yourself , then you know where they are going to be grrrrrrr

The best way to get all year colour is to buy a plant a month that is flowering that particular month.
I wouldn't rule out shrubs. They can give height and form to a plot. with regard to the Bluebells, they are notoriously difficult to get rid of so make sure you dig over the plot a number of times. Snowdrops establish better if planted in the green rather than brought as bulbs (but don't dig them up from the countryside though, you can be arrested for that).
Primroses and other primulas give good spring colour.
Hellebores do well in shade and can be in flower late winter into spring.
Poppies can flower throughout the summer and will self seed.
Other bulbs you could have, fritillaries, nerines and alliums.
If you want ground cover, Ajuga or saxifrage.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Grape hyacinths are quite nice.

In the spirit of Brexit, you will need to negotiate the return of said Spanish bluebells to their former masters once you've dug them up...

Dave 123

Legendary Member
After the bulbs have gone how about sowing a wildflower mix. There are various types that you can get in various shades to suit your taste.
It'll be good for your soul and good for the local bees.
wildflower%20patch%20from%20google.gif

If you have a damp spot try some candelabra Primroses for spring colour .
botanikfoto-520309-L.jpg

On in to autumn. If you have a shady, dry area among all this you can plant hardy cyclamen, in the sunny spots you can plant Colchicum which is the autumn flowering crocus.
IMG_3020s.jpg

Herbstzeitlose_Colchicum_autumnale_IMG_7799.jpg

Top Bottom