One for the hipsters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mikeymustard
3 of my Raleighs are only basic 18-20 steel however the Road Ace is 531c. :wub:
I always liked Carlton non-reynolds frames, lovely, and not as heavy as one would expect, but that road ace frame of yours is on another level!

It's stunning. Lovely job you've done there, and my wife is very jealous as it's her dream frame colour.
I would love to claim the credit for this but I just bought it ready painted :blush:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Well whoever did it did it pretty well. And you have good taste.

rrarider

Veteran
My latest project - owner says it used to be an early 80s Record Ace, the Haden lugs and pic in the 1983 Racers catalogue leads me to believe him.

IMAG0387_zps7sqdq2ph.jpg

IMAG0389_zpservu62ao.jpg

IMAG0388_zpsj3myovkd.jpg

The [powdercoat] finish is quite good, apart from on the edges of the lugs where there are some areas where the powder didn't stick very well, but a bit of gold infill and lining will sort that.
I originally thought I might do a full on ss/fixie job on it using a highly polished vintage crankset but as s I pulled the bubble wrap away from it my partner said "Ooh, I like that colour, you keep saying I need a lighter bike. I want pink bars and mudguards to go with it!" so we shall see.
Colour's really strange actually - as the daylight colour temperature changed from afternoon to evening it seemed to get deeper and plummier; me being colour blind I don't normally see subtlety :smile:

I can't see the photos, as they seem to have been deleted. For your info this is my 84 Record Ace in its original colour scheme.[URL=http://s984.photobucket.com/user/NickBT1/media/RRAceAlbertDock1024_zpsd4f87a67.jpg.html] RRAceAlbertDock1024_zpsd4f87a67.jpg [/URL]https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/show-us-your-vintage-road-bikes.90257/post-3183001

I've had it from new and it has a 'W' frame number but I believe it was handbuilt in Nottingham. It has 531c tubing throughout. I changed the wheels to be Mavic MA40s

Attachments

• RRAceAlbertDock1024_zpsd4f87a67.jpg
    RRAceAlbertDock1024_zpsd4f87a67.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
mikeymustard
I can't see the photos, as they seem to have been deleted. For your info this is my 84 Record Ace in its original colour scheme. RRAceAlbertDock1024_zpsd4f87a67.jpg

I've had it from new and it has a 'W' frame number but I believe it was handbuilt in Nottingham. It has 531c tubing throughout. I changed the wheels to be Mavic MA40s
Sorry bout the pics should be ok now, my photobucket got moved around and I forgot it would mess links up!
That's a lovely bike @rrarider something to be really proud of! You're right about the Nottingham build, they closed down the Worksop factory in about '81.
I recently had a 1987 RRA pass through my hands, not as high end as the ones like yours from earlier in the decade (only 3 main tubes and forks were 531) but it was still a lovely thing and rode beautifully. Luckily someone made me an offer on the bike otherwise I might've had to keep it!
Obviously I'd rather've had the frame in its original livery but it is what it is (and it is purple. Very)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Sorry bout the pics should be ok now, my photobucket got moved around and I forgot it would mess links up!
That's a lovely bike @rrarider something to be really proud of! You're right about the Nottingham build, they closed down the Worksop factory in about '81.
I recently had a 1987 RRA pass through my hands, not as high end as the ones like yours from earlier in the decade (only 3 main tubes and forks were 531) but it was still a lovely thing and rode beautifully. Luckily someone made me an offer on the bike otherwise I might've had to keep it!
Obviously I'd rather've had the frame in its original livery but it is what it is (and it is purple. Very)
They used the same workers who had been at Worksop to build the 'high end' bikes in Nottingham apart from the few who'd already gone to the SBDU in Ilkeston.

Top Bottom