One of the toughest days since I started commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have had some bad weather days on my 34 mile commute, since I started in 2009, but today I failed to remember a worse one, wind beyond belief, and rain,

I managed a new record for me today, I could at one point only manage 9 mph on the flat,but I still got to work and back under my own steam, I remember last year through the winter, and look forward to the cold coming !
laugh.gif

perplexed

Guru
Yep, it's chuffin windy in Sheffield at the moment, and when you add that to the hills...

I'm a bit of a fan of the cold stuff too. Sorts the men out from the boys!:biggrin:

Biscuit

Legendary Member
Kev,

Don't worry we're all at it too. Proper windy Cambs cos it's so flat. I commute from suffolk into Cambs. Always know when I've crossed the border! Swap hills for the usual head wind.
Always quietly pleased that I made the effort when I get to work.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Well done !!

I had a cracker of a day too.

Got soaked going in so the gear was still damp come home time.

2 hours overtime called so i am hungry.

Come out to a flat tyre.

Cycle all the way home against that head wind, i guess in some points i was down to a similar speed as i was in hill climbing gear on the flat.

More rain.

Bloody road works with a tail back up a steep hill.

Bloody wind has blown a fence panel out !!

Tynan

Veteran
it was a grim ride in, head wind, gusts, slick wet road with wet leaves everywhere and a monstrous hangover on top

the side wind going over London Bridge was so strong I had the bike leant over at a crazy angle, I looked down and was amazed at the angle

mind you home was rather easy

Bman

Guru
Well, this thread makes me feel better, knowing others endured what I did today.

16 miles. Cold, wet and very windy. I also nearly got caught out by the wind a few times. Clothes still damp for the return leg.

I've worn nearly three sets of clothes today!

I thought the beeb over exagurated things this morning (in Edinburgh at least); tonight though (I just got home 20mins ago) it was very wild! I was glad I wasn't commuting in the peak the wind was blowing me all over the place and my braking distance at times must have been 10 times (plus) normal and folk in metal cages didn't care!

and what a great ride it was... turned a corner at the top of the road and came to a dead halt... enjoyed improving my slalom techniques with some nifty sideways moves and couldn't stop pedalling - uphill or down.

Wondering whether tonight will be worse... I'm due to go home at 6 and though. Wind slightly less, but significantly more cars!

I didn't mind the wind last night. By the time I was heading home at gone midnight it was gusty and swirling, so that it all evened out in terms of effort. It was great rolling along in near silence during the moments the wind was following.

ThePainInSpain

Just got back from a quick ride alongside the river, it's getting cooler here too, down to 23c this afternoon.

Clear blue skies, means it will be cold tonight, down to about 9c.

Wind light SW.

Here ends the weather report for Southern Spain........................................

SORRY :whistle:

Top Bottom