Opinion on this bike please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Be fine for JOGLE or LEJOG imho

Pro's - cheap and reasonable quality.
Con's - usually assembled by some Helfords shelf monkey,

OP
OP
K

KilianFW

Thanks. I have bought it off ebay for £450 - so going to take it to LBS to get it checked and ensure it is fitted correctly. Will 18 gears be enough do you think for the bigger hills? I am currently I very unfit rugby player but have 16 months to get fit for this challenge. thanks for the reply so far!

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Thanks. I have bought it off ebay for £450 - so going to take it to LBS to get it checked and ensure it is fitted correctly. Will 18 gears be enough do you think for the bigger hills? I am currently I very unfit rugby player but have 16 months to get fit for this challenge. thanks for the reply so far!
Fine bike - when you take it to your LBS have them check the casette ratio & change it if necessary to a wide ratio 11-28 min up to 11-32 (11-32 will give you loads of gear range for any hill/mountain road) & make life easier.
Good luck with your challenge.
:thumbsup:

Rapples

Guru
It's already got compact chainset, 34 - 28, which I'd suggest is low enough. Just make sure you do the training, it's time on the bike that counts to make sure you can last all day cycling, and any contact point/fit issues get sorted out before you go.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
I Had its predecessor the White one very comfy bike which had excellent gearing and after having the correct stem fitted it was a cracker as Mr H says though Helfrauds ime awful.

young Ed

Veteran
looks fine don't have seat post that high unless needed as it looks rather uncomfortable for any distance set up like in the link! unless you are racing lejog then i would fit maybe 30 or 32c tyres rather than the stock 25c tyres, but it also depends if you are camping and self supported or camping but supported or b&b or what ever. basically how much you will be carrying on bike both physical size and weight wise
happy :bicycle:
Cheers Ed

SteCenturion

I am your Father
It's already got compact chainset, 34 - 28, which I'd suggest is low enough. Just make sure you do the training, it's time on the bike that counts to make sure you can last all day cycling, and any contact point/fit issues get sorted out before you go.
Compact chainsets are 34/50 unless I am mistaken (which I often am) but I run compact on mine 34/50

young Ed

Veteran
As @young Ed says, it all depends whether you'll be carrying your stuff or having it carried for you. Other than that, it's possible to do LEJOG on any bike you like - in 2012 a Fridays rider did London to John O'Groats on a 3-speed Brompton. It wasn't a long enough trip for him though, so he extended it by riding to London from Dungeness first, and then heading off to Durness afterwards.
yay someone agrees with me on one thing :hyper::dance::wahhey::wahhey:
i am planning to do lejog in 2015 on either a 70's or 80's road/racer like one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_t...60l+tub&_nkw=vintage+racer&_sacat=0&_from=R40

or this beast
falcon-trailfinder.jpg

Cheers Ed

OP
OP
K

KilianFW

Thanks so much for the responses guys. I think it will the right bike although I have spotted the Roubaix. Will give it some thought over the next couple of weeks then take the plunge while putting some miles into my Marin hybrid. We will be doing it supported so only me, bike and drinks need to be moved really.

Cheers

Top Bottom