Opinions please...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

JAH

Regular
So, I had my friend take a look at my £10 bargain yesterday, and we decided to pretty much leave everything as it is. He adjusted the brakes and oiled the necessary parts but could see no need to interfere with much else at this stage. He suggests I do things on a needs must basis, as long as everything is safe and sound in the meantime. Like Skipdiver John, he says even the tyres (which are quite cracked, but have good tread) could well go on for a good while. I'm happy with that. I've been round the block this morning and it seems ok, although the brakes are really loud.
Ironically, my car broke down on the way home from my friend's last night (Lincoln to Nottingham), and now looks as though it will need a new engine. Was stranded at the side of the A46 for hours, so was almost tempted to take the bike out of the boot and set off for home! (I'd probably be still riding though, or more likely walking!).
I'll take the bike for a little ride later and see how it goes...

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's good news... apart from the new engine. At least that's something a bike will never need.

nickAKA

Über Member
So, I had my friend take a look at my £10 bargain yesterday, and we decided to pretty much leave everything as it is. He adjusted the brakes and oiled the necessary parts but could see no need to interfere with much else at this stage. He suggests I do things on a needs must basis, as long as everything is safe and sound in the meantime. Like Skipdiver John, he says even the tyres (which are quite cracked, but have good tread) could well go on for a good while. I'm happy with that. I've been round the block this morning and it seems ok, although the brakes are really loud.
Ironically, my car broke down on the way home from my friend's last night (Lincoln to Nottingham), and now looks as though it will need a new engine. Was stranded at the side of the A46 for hours, so was almost tempted to take the bike out of the boot and set off for home! (I'd probably be still riding though, or more likely walking!).
I'll take the bike for a little ride later and see how it goes...

Noisy brakes should be easily sorted - clean the braking surfaces on the rims thoroughly and fit some new/decent brake blocks, worth doing anyway on an old bike if just for the peace of mind.

OP
OP
J

JAH

Regular
Yeah, might change the brake blocks if the noise becomes too much. They are working well and the blocks look brand new, so maybe no rush?
Went out this afternoon with my daughter who is 10. Just a couple of miles to the shops and back via the park. All seemed well enough. I know it wasn't far, or challenging, but I was pleased that I managed that without collapsing - I am ridiculously unfit, honestly!

OP
OP
J

JAH

Regular
I hope so. The little ride today was no problem, but it was only just under 3 miles. I did find myself thinking that I can imagine how that easily become 5, then 10 etc. My daughter was so happy just to be out on her bike that it was real motivation to do little bits as often as we can. My fitness will improve slowly, I'm sure. Thank you for your encouragement!

nickAKA

Über Member
I hope so. The little ride today was no problem, but it was only just under 3 miles. I did find myself thinking that I can imagine how that easily become 5, then 10 etc. My daughter was so happy just to be out on her bike that it was real motivation to do little bits as often as we can. My fitness will improve slowly, I'm sure. Thank you for your encouragement!

Indeed, the distance isn't the issue - it eventually becomes a battle with your backside vs. the saddle

If you enjoy it, stick at it. Plan some routes, take a picnic, stop for ice cream, take some pictures of you both smiling somewhere beautiful and remember you're not up against a clock. The sunny summer days will disappear into a haze of happy memories...

Top Bottom