optical drives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Is it possible to use an internal optical drive on one computer to install software on another? I rather regret buying a laptop without one and taking the a screwdriver to the external drive thinking it was cheap.

Carwash

Señor Member
Probably, unless it's the base OS you want to install. Can you share that drive over the network?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Why not buy an external drive to plug into a USB port e.g. this?

I've got an external drive for my ultra-portable Dell. It is smaller and lighter for not having an internal drive and 99% of the time I don't need it so I leave it at home. It's there when I need it.

Oh, you already had an external one but destroyed it... xx(

Okay, slap yourself on the wrist for being silly, and then buy a replacement external drive! :tongue:

twowheelsgood

Yellow Fang said:
Is it possible to use an internal optical drive on one computer to install software on another? I rather regret buying a laptop without one and taking the a screwdriver to the external drive thinking it was cheap.

1. Put the disc in a machine with a CD/DVD.

2. Save an image file of the disk (easy with most CD burning software - Cd Burner XP is free and works well).

3. Copy the file on a USB stick and plug it in the other machine or network

4. Use Daemon tools (free - preferably the "lite" version) and mount the image.

5. Install as if it were a real CD/DVD

You can even jig your Windows installer CD to run off a USB drive but this requires a bit more work.

I've not missed having an optical drive on my eee pc at all, just dead weight to carry around. I've had my work notebook for 2 years and I think I've used the DVD twice. Optical drives will disappear over the next few years. Bluray is unlikely to be anywhere near as popular as DVD on the PC.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
The reason I bought this refurbed 12" laptop was to use as a sort of portable netbook. The 9" netbooks are a bit too small. I thought as well that CD/DVD drives were becoming obsolete, at least for installing software. It doesn't seem to be the case though.

Batzman

Yellow Fang said:

If you're using windows, and the software isn't too fussy about having a physical DVD (e.g. office, or something) ... AND you have both computers on a network, you can just share the DVD drive from your machine that has it, and then map the drive on to the other machine.

Top Bottom