Organ Donation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'm a card carrier, and have registered too. Mrs F isn't too sure... thinks that if an organ is needed pronto, there might be pressure to 'let you go' rather than do the utmost to save you...

darthpaul

I don't carry a card but I am registered online. If I can change someone else's life after I am gone instead of feeding a couple of worms thats all good with me :wacko:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Fnaar said:
I'm a card carrier, and have registered too. Mrs F isn't too sure... thinks that if an organ is needed pronto, there might be pressure to 'let you go' rather than do the utmost to save you...

It's one life against another, I guess. If I was in a situation where I was that close to death, why shouldn't I go, and someone else get many years extra, and more importantly, good quality, life? In fact, it could me, or several people - two kidneys, two lungs, a heart, two eyes, a liver*.

There already is a need for organs, pronto, ever since transplants started there has been, I don't think doctors think that way. And the doctors who treat you as an RTA or whatever aren't the same ones as those who 'need' the organs, so they won't have a mental checklist of the waiting list.

*Or, the Arch Mixed Grill(TM).

I'm not sure you HAVE to register - doctors can bring the subject up with next of kin even without a card, I thought. Registering is just another way to be sure of your wishes being known. Most important though, is to make sure your next of kin know beforehand and understand and agree - I think they can still veto it can't they?

adscrim

Veteran
My wife and I were talking it over after the death of a friend and we got onto the subject of our kids and whether, were the worst to happen, we would allow their organs to be donated.

She put it very well. Would you take an organ to save yours or your childs life? If the answer is yes then you should be willing to give them up. I hope it's something I never have to deal with.

I registered online yesterday.

Top Bottom