Orpington to London Bridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jahlive905

Started commuting to work from Orpington to London Bridge about 5 days a week. It was a slog at the beginning but slowly getting used to it and loving not being stuck on a delayed Southeastern train. Does anyone else do this commute and how long does the journey usually take you?
I'm averaging about 1 hour 10mins in the mornings and 1 hour 20mins in the evenings (bloody bromley hill). Just want to know if I should be pushing myself to go a bit faster.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hi, I also commute from Orpington, but to Deptford. So I guess we take near enough the same route.. down/up the A21. Which part of Orpington are you? I'm near Farnborough. A couple of other posters on here also commute from Orpington into London.

So.. A21 I guess is your route, all the way to Lewisham, Deptford, then Evelyn Street, lower Road and Jamaica Road right? You are right about Bromley Hill. It's one of those hills that is easily climbed but some days it does bite back.

It doesn't really matter what other people do and their speed. Just concentrate on your own efforts. Keep up the riding day after day and you will soon build up a very good fitness and with fitness comes more speed. Your times at the moment seem pretty good as they are anyway.
Just remember, there's always someone quicker then you as there is always someone slower then you. You will soon be able to gauge how quick you are against others.

Then there's also Strava if you're that way inclined.

Last edited:

subaqua

What’s the point
Hi, I also commute from Orpington, but to Deptford. So I guess we take near enough the same route.. down/up the A21. Which part of Orpington are you? I'm near Farnborough. A couple of other posters on here also commute from Orpington into London.

So.. A21 I guess is your route, all the way to Lewisham, Deptford, then Evelyn Street, lower Road and Jamaica Road right? You are right about Bromley Hill. It's one of those hills that is easily climbed but some days it does bite back.

It doesn't really matter what other people do and their speed. Just concentrate on your own efforts. Keep up the riding day after day and you will soon build up a very good fitness and with fitness comes more speed. Your times at the moment seem pretty good as they are anyway.
Just remember, they're's always someone quicker then you as there is always someone slower then you. You will soon be able to gauge how quick you are against others.

Then there's also Strava if you're worried about how big your willy is and like waving it.

FTFY ;)

OP Well done on the commute by bike. I occasionally have to use that train route and it is utter guff. would much rather do it by bike

OP
OP
jahlive905

jahlive905

Cool! I'm near the war memorial so don't hit the A21 until I get to Bromley. Instead, I go up Knoll Rise, through Petts Woods and Jubilee Park, past Bickley, Waldo Road tip and then to Bromley North. Then spot on, that exact route until LBG.

One thing I do love is going down Bromley Hill in the mornings - managed 48kph today. I don't Strava - I'm worse, I'm on Map My Ride. Only because I used to use it for its Map My Run feature and couldn't be bothered to set up yet another login and password so I just use that now. I do wave my willy about on it, but no-one else uses it so they can't see it. They probably wouldn't be able to see it anyway.

Cheers for the encouragement, hope I keep this up during the winter months - I think I will. Only thing I need now is some hi-vis...

Tin Pot

Guru
Started commuting to work from Orpington to London Bridge about 5 days a week. It was a slog at the beginning but slowly getting used to it and loving not being stuck on a delayed Southeastern train. Does anyone else do this commute and how long does the journey usually take you?
I'm averaging about 1 hour 10mins in the mornings and 1 hour 20mins in the evenings (bloody bromley hill). Just want to know if I should be pushing myself to go a bit faster.

That's about my time from Petts Wood to the City - but your time doesn't matter.

Not only does it not matter, but traffic is your main concern - ride appropriately for the rush hour, not to some arbitrary target time.

One tip, if you leave early on a nice day, a detour through Greenwich Park is nice.

Shrubs

Hi guys, I’m moving to Orpington (St Mary Cray) shortly and want to continue to commute in to London on my bike.

I’ve been trying to work out a route online and the suggested route takes me on the A20 to Lewisham and then either the A2 or A2210 to the city. Some of the posts mention that the A20 is like a motor-way and is not fit for cycling and others say it’s not that bad.

I’m new to the area and don’t know any of the areas, roads or routes and any help would be really appreciated.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hi @Shrubs and welcome to Cycle Chat.
The A20 route is ok, but not the greatest. It can be busy and very congested. From the Crittals Corner roundabout (B&Q) there's a very good Cycle path that will take to to the roundabout at the top. From there on you can battle with the A20 traffic. The route is direct however I would work out a back roads route into town. I would go up Lessons Hill to hit the A208 through Chislehurst to Mottingham, hit the A2212 to the A20 to Lewisham, Deptford and pick up the A200 which will take you into town. Where in the Crays you moving to?

Shrubs

Thanks @ianrauk, I will definitely give that a try. I''ll be moving close by to the Nugents shopping centre, so the Leesons Hill route would work out perfectly. Thanks again.

Top Bottom