Other countries' attitude to swearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
My ex wide is Australian. Potty mouthed is only half of it, but you should have heard her giving birth. I was amazed security didn’t kick her out.

Her family would openly swear (strongly) in front of both my daughters. I had to put some boundaries up. Now I know why it wasn’t a match made in heaven.

mustang1

Guru
What's really weird is when people (including me, but I've been brain washed, probably like others), when we write the word fxck, we always have the asterisks like f*** this or f*** that. But does ANYONE really not know that the asterisks are uck. Same thing at the office. If you write shxt in an email, it gets flagged up. But if you write it with asterisks like s***, then it's completely fine.

Darn it, now i think there's too much swearing in this one single post and maybe I shouldn't post it. Oh f*** it. If it's too much, I'm sure the mods will delete it. :smile:

Wait, there's more. You dont actually have to write the f word. You can just say (for example) "Those mothers at (some place) really screw things up". Now what is "mothers" short for? Well, well all know, yet we can still say it. AND THE WORST THING IS that TV| program "Gordon Ramsay's F Word". WTF - how can THAT go on TV? Again, no one knows what F means? And wasn't there a clothing brand whose profits went thru the roof which suddenly declined to rubbish?

mustang1

Guru
Correct outline of the circumstances, but wrong conclusion.

The reader - generally - is not offended by the gossip and images.

Quite the reverse, readership surveys indicate this stuff is popular.

The reader - generally - does not want to read swear words in the paper.

Far from being 'daffodils' the journalists/editors are complying with their readers' wishes.

Because, of course, that sells more papers/gets more internet views.

But isn't that was page 3 Sun readers wanted? The Sun was catering for it's readership (or should that be "pictureship").

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
[QUOTE 5216073, member: 43827"]There will have to be some real inventiveness for new words to really use at those moments of genuine anger, shock or pain.[/QUOTE]

Most swearing is just noise.

The most genuinely hurtful/cruel/offensive language doesn't use so-called swearwords to achieve its effect. Never has. Never will.

graham56

Guru
I've heard the 'MF' word casually used on Dutch daytime TV.
The Dutch don’t see using feck as swearing, you’ll hear it all the time even on the radio.
Now Godverdomme is a big no-no.
If you’re abroad learn the swear words first, then you know when someone is swearing at you.
When in the Netherlands I tend to use “wat een lul.”
Oh and you’ll hear kut used alot, thats c u next Thursday

Last edited:
Top Bottom