OTP Touring frames

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamG

Guru
I'm looking at a Surly LHT for the other half - want something that takes 26" wheels as she's only 5'3" and I'm of the opinion that 700c wheels on small frames just isn't appropriate.

Are there any other off-the-peg touring frames that I should be looking at?

Needs to be compact/sloping top tube and take 26" wheels and preferably under £400.

Mrs D's 5'2" and rides a Thorn Sherpa which fits well, I've got a one too and we've been very pleased with them.

andym

Über Member
To ask an obvious (but not so obvious) question: have you considered getting an MTB frame? For example an On-One Inbred? They do a 14-inch size (although only one left), works with V-brakes as well as discs. Full complement of mounting points for racks and mudguards - plenty of people use them for touring. Might work with drop bars.

OP
OP
G

GrahamG

Guru
I had considered it but wanted something that was guaranteed to be really stable when loaded up which I'm assuming (from past experience!) that a MTB frame is unlikely to be unless it was an ancient one with nice long wheel base. No need for drops, going to do straight or possibly butterfly bars.

Dave - I'd forgotten about the Thorn option, price seems reasonable considering it comes with headset and seatpost.

andym

Über Member
GrahamG said:
I had considered it but wanted something that was guaranteed to be really stable when loaded up which I'm assuming (from past experience!) that a MTB frame is unlikely to be unless it was an ancient one with nice long wheel base. No need for drops, going to do straight or possibly butterfly bars.

MTB frames come in lots of different geometries, and if anything I think the pendulum has swung towards long and stable.

I tour with an Inbred 456 which has quite a long wheelbase and is very stable loaded up. I've ridden it, fully-loaded, down some steep and very rocky tracks and flung it round corners without the slightest jitter. SFAIK the geometry is very similar to that of the Inbred.

I'm not trying to put you off the LHT, which SFAIK is an excellent bike, but it's definitely worth comparing the specifics of the geometry of the two frames. If you want to compare the alternatives for a tough, steel, off-road capable tourer then the LHT, Thorn and One-One would definitely be on the shortlist.

Top Bottom