Ouch Ouch Ouch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephen-D

Cycling home tonight from work, the weather was horrendous, the heavens poured down onto me and I was cycling up hill to a roundabout, taking the 3rd exit right and I was signalling at the time, probably no more than 10Mph when the bike decided it wants to lie flat on the road, landed in my entire right side and cracked my helmet off the tarmac! Really winded myself, good thing was all the traffic stopped and everyone made sure I was fine, was very touched if not a little embarrassed. Then got on my bike and cycled the remaining 7 miles home. First accident and lesson firmly learnt!

Peter10

Glad you're okay. It's good to know people stopped to make sure you are okay though. I bet you are glad you had a helmet to take the impact. Time to get a new one?

The changing weather is a concern for me, I am used to riding in the wet on mountain bikes, but I haven't ridden a road bike since I was 13 or so and our summer definitely came early this year. I'll find out Monday when I get my bike delivered I guess!

Sounded horrible out there tonight, I don't think the rain has stopped at all today in Fife. The first rain unfortunately after a dry'ish (come on this is Scotland) tend to wash cr@p across the road you must have been unlucky enough to hit some.

Oh and I'm glad it wasn't too bad.

OP
OP
Stephen-D

Stephen-D

Sounded horrible out there tonight, I don't think the rain has stopped at all today in Fife. The first rain unfortunately after a dry'ish (come on this is Scotland) tend to wash cr@p across the road you must have been unlucky enough to hit some.

Oh and I'm glad it wasn't too bad.

It was first time cycling in proper rain and i love it, make you feel alive, then i go and get hurt so not so great! all the cars were just letting me pick up all my bits and bobs spewed onto the road so that was nice.

Will need to get a new helmet now, its got a big crack in it now :sad: but rather that than my head.

The road/roundabout

It was first time cycling in proper rain and i love it, make you feel alive, then i go and get hurt so not so great! all the cars were just letting me pick up all my bits and bobs spewed onto the road so that was nice.

Will need to get a new helmet now, its got a big crack in it now :sad: but rather that than my head.

The road/roundabout
Ah Kings Road, I'm lucky my parents live the other side of Dunfermline so its easier to avoid it.

Wobbly John

Veteran
Bad luck - though it's good to hear people stopped and were considerate.

It could have been a patch of diesel - you often get small spills on roundabouts as it sloshes about. I had an off this time last year when some was spilled on a corner on a club time trial circuit.

Peter10

The road/roundabout

Any chance of posting a picture of the helmet? Always good to see why I wear one.

Bruce

Cycling home tonight from work, the weather was horrendous, the heavens poured down onto me and I was cycling up hill to a roundabout, taking the 3rd exit right and I was signalling at the time, probably no more than 10Mph when the bike decided it wants to lie flat on the road, landed in my entire right side and cracked my helmet off the tarmac! Really winded myself, good thing was all the traffic stopped and everyone made sure I was fine, was very touched if not a little embarrassed. Then got on my bike and cycled the remaining 7 miles home. First accident and lesson firmly learnt!

Glad to hear you are OK, dont worry about not being knocked off by a car, some of the clowns who lurk in here will be along soon enough to explain to you why it was clearly a motorists fault!
Good news about the helmet, better that than your skull

marcw

The changing weather is a concern for me, I am used to riding in the wet on mountain bikes, but I haven't ridden a road bike since I was 13 or so and our summer definitely came early this year. I'll find out Monday when I get my bike delivered I guess!

I ride slicks all year round, just give yourself lots of time to brake so you can scrub speed of gently. The worst thing I've found is getting crap/ oil on the braking surfaces when it's wet and you need a couple of revolutions to clear the rim. I'm going to be riding a cross bike with disc brakes this winter hopefully this will solve that problem.

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
How unpleasant but glad to hear that you are OK and very heartening to hear about the motorists stopping to help! I've done a similar thing myself after hitting an oil patch which had been nicely distributed by a downpour. That and manhole covers - both lethal in the rain but at least you can usually spot the covers.

Top Bottom