overnight bike storage while camping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrsbaggins

yesI know havent actually GOT my bike yet bit am planning ahead a couple o weeks!

I enjoy camping and my idea was to take said bike as well and combine the two. However while looking around for insurance it appears that most policies do not cover bikes overnight in a hatchback despite it been bolted to the car. I know what my luck is like . there must be others in a similar situation? so what is best? surely it would be better off in my car than attached to an immovable object and if this ws the case am I allowed overnight?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
yesI know havent actually GOT my bike yet bit am planning ahead a couple o weeks!

I enjoy camping and my idea was to take said bike as well and combine the two. However while looking around for insurance it appears that most policies do not cover bikes overnight in a hatchback despite it been bolted to the car. I know what my luck is like . there must be others in a similar situation? so what is best? surely it would be better off in my car than attached to an immovable object and if this ws the case am I allowed overnight?

I think the chances of it being pinched out of your car are fairly remote.put some towels or other junk over it so it just looks like a car full of junk. We leave our bikes in the tent while we go out .we lock them together then hope for the best. You cant worry too much or it will spoil your holiday, just do the best you can in the circumstances.

My house insurance covers the bikes away from home for theft and doesnt require any specific type of lock,

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I think the chances of it being pinched out of your car are fairly remote.put some towels or other junk over it so it just looks like a car full of junk. We leave our bikes in the tent while we go out .we lock them together then hope for the best. You cant worry too much or it will spoil your holiday, just do the best you can in the circumstances.

My house insurance covers the bikes away from home for theft and doesnt require any specific type of lock,

This.

Lock them so that they're facing opposing ways, that way they'll be *slightly* harder to just wheel away together.
Thefts on campsites are thankfully rare, just use your common sense and don't let the worry spoil your holiday.
Have fun B)

OP
OP
mrsbaggins

mrsbaggins

This.

Lock them so that they're facing opposing ways, that way they'll be *slightly* harder to just wheel away together.
Thefts on campsites are thankfully rare, just use your common sense and don't let the worry spoil your holiday.
Have fun B)

thanks for that. Yes I know on the whole campsites are safe but I know what my luck is like. My house policy from more than states it must be locked to an immovable subject. I will investigate further!

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Slightly trickier then!

Ours states the same actually. I did try locking them to a tree but decided I'd rather they were hidden in the tent rather than out on display albeit locked.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
When I've camped with a bike and car, I've sometimes used a U-lock through the car tow hitch and round the chainstays.
It does depend on where the tow hitch is and the shape of the car though, and having a U lock long enough to reach.

It's probably more secure than most other immovable objects you could use as both the U and the tow hitch would be difficult for a thief to get at.

Top Bottom