Oxford - WOW

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonesy

Guru
2Loose said:
Cambridge Uni also strongly disapproves of students bringing their cars into an already congested town (iirc a bursar's letter is required before they are allowed)... being pretty flat also helps the students make their minds up as to their preferred mode of transport ;)

Yes, the same is true in Oxford: no undergraduate parking is provided at all. Despite what I said above, I certainly wouldn't dispute that a large student population certainly helps - it means there are lots of people with low levels of car ownership, usually pretty centrally based, and whose travel needs are predominantly short journeys. Furthermore, the development patterns and local services available in places with high student populations also contribute to making cycling a more viable option for the rest of the population. Nonetheless, neither lots of students nor favourable terrain will give you lots of cycling unless the other factors are there, and traffic and parking constraints are central to this.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Agree 100% with Jonesy here. Since moving to the area our bus usage in particular has increased due to having an excellent Abingdon to Oxford service that's easily accesible from home, and the congestion and expensive parking in the city centre. Occasionally the Park and Ride gets used too when there's much shopping to carry home. The cost and availability of parking is certainly a major factor in Oxfords daily bike usage, but it's not just confined to students, there's an awful lot of commuters doing the various Abingdon to Oxford routes and a lot of cyclists going from Abingdon to Harwell, Culham and Milton Park. All-in-all, The cycling culture in Oxford spreads out to the sorrounding areas as well.
Major issue I find with cycling in Oxford is that there's soooo much totty it's hard to focus on the traffic! It's also a great city to cycle round at night and hence it provides most of my winter training runs.

BTW garilla, congrats to your lad!

Cab

Tim Bennet. said:
Lancaster:
Two universities.
Cycling demonstration city.
Few cyclists.

Less than you'd hope, which is a shame 'cos I really enjoyed cycling during my three years there. In fairness though, I think that a lot of the problem there is that Lancaster university provides on-campuss accomodation for first years (no need to ride a bike) and then there is a decent enough bus service when students move out in to town. Its too much of a step up for many of them from no cycling at all to riding down, say, a steep hill from Bowerham and then up another to Bailrigg.

Cab

Regarding cycling in Cambridge, its an odd experience. There are gazillions of us, but of all of the towns I've regularly ridden I'd say that the experience here is worse than anywhere else.

jonesy

Guru
Cab said:
Regarding cycling in Cambridge, its an odd experience. There are gazillions of us, but of all of the towns I've regularly ridden I'd say that the experience here is worse than anywhere else.

I agree- I think there is a wider problem here which is discussed in a current thread in campaign... link .

To my mind DfT and Cycling England should focus more effort on Oxford, Cambridge, Hull and York as the locations with existing cycling cultures, because it is vitally important that cycle use is maintained in these places as positive examples to the rest of the country, and also because of the numbers of students who spend time there and then bring their cycling experiences back to the rest of the country.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
levad said:
This type of initiative must help ...

http://www.witneygazette.co.uk/education/4500094.Oxford_pupils_in_spin_for_cycling_event/

Witney (11 miles west of Oxford) has a vey high proportion of cycle use. It is a small market town with free car parking. It is still quiker to get from most parts of the town to the town centre on a bike rather than a car.

It is also, generaly, quicker to commute to Oxford by bike than either bus or car.

The same is true of Abingdon, if you live and work there then there's little excuse not to ride to work as it'll nearly always be as quick or quicker than the car. Many kids cycle to work, but there could be more adults. I do my bit but the Mrs is a bit harder to wrench from the car, but she'll do the odd day or 2 per week.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
jonesy said:
I agree- I think there is a wider problem here which is discussed in a current thread in campaign... link .

To my mind DfT and Cycling England should focus more effort on Oxford, Cambridge, Hull and York as the locations with existing cycling cultures, because it is vitally important that cycle use is maintained in these places as positive examples to the rest of the country, and also because of the numbers of students who spend time there and then bring their cycling experiences back to the rest of the country.

Apparently Hull has recently been given funding for a Bike Hub at the station.

I wouldn't say I see masses of cyclists around the city but there's good provision of on road cycle lanes and the city is nice and flat .

jonesy

Guru
HelenD123 said:
Apparently Hull has recently been given funding for a Bike Hub at the station.

I wouldn't say I see masses of cyclists around the city but there's good provision of on road cycle lanes and the city is nice and flat .

In the 2001 census the modal share for cycling in Hull was 12%, the 4th highest town in the country after Cambridge (28%), Oxford (16%), York 13%. *Hull is always a good example to quote to councils in industrial cities because it gets past the posh students on bikes image...

Hull cycling strategy Appendix 1

chap

Veteran
London: an example to the UK

jonesy said:

I agree that they should perhaps highlight the existing cycle-culture in these places, but I still maintain that they should focus on the 'big un' that is London.

If done properly, the public cycle scheme should provide the jolt required to get most other cities and towns in gear (excuse the pun). It is all too easy to dismiss Oxford, Cambridge as elitist and the preserve of days gone by (it's sad I know but it an easy tactic by oversized Windsor knots who benefit from the status quo), the same can be argued about York (Hull, I have never visited so cannot comment).

London however is large enough, and known for it's congestion - something that other large cities experience. Yet it is diverse enough (think boroughs) that smaller cities and towns can take inspiration from it.

I, and many others, are in awe of the success brought about by Velib scheme in Paris, it has completely transformed the public's attitude to cycling (even the drivers have calmed down).

The Bixi system in Montreal is also an outstanding success, and the same company (along with Serco) shall be running the London scheme. Let's hope this does not become another Great British gaff, cycling is already taking off rapidly in London and well thought-out provisions shall strengthen the movement, if this becomes yet another short-term political plaything then a fantastic opportunity shall be lost.

al78

Guru
threebikesmcginty said:
Other areas could follow this but generally councils haven't got the balls to stand up to radical thinking like no cars in a town centre is a good thing.

One reason for this is that if you ban cars from one town centre people will just drive to another one to do their shopping so the town centre business will lose a lot of revenue and may even risk going under. This will tend to make the council deeply unpopular with the locals and they would be lucky to survive the next local election.

Norm

al78 said:
One reason for this is that if you ban cars from one town centre people will just drive to another one to do their shopping so the town centre business will lose a lot of revenue and may even risk going under. This will tend to make the council deeply unpopular with the locals and they would be lucky to survive the next local election.
+1

Even though I'll happily cycle into town, the kids are reluctant and the wife refuses. Although that means I can get a nice quiet coffee to myself when I do go in.:laugh:

Top Bottom