P*nctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
always used nylon(?) levers freely as soon as it start getting tricky with fingers and never pinched a tube, bit of air first and squeeze the tyre a bit to help the tube rise into the tyre and be careful thereafter, spec around the valve

if you're only fixing the part of the tube that's punctured, there's that less tyre to replace

cyclebum

cathryn, glad to here I'm not the only one, last time I was switching my tyres I had to do the front twice as despite my best efforts I had the directional arrow going backwards, but I just couldn't get the last bit on the back one. ended taking the wheel down to my local H**fords and fluttering my eylashes to get it done!:blush:

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
cyclebum said:
cathryn, glad to here I'm not the only one, last time I was switching my tyres I had to do the front twice as despite my best efforts I had the directional arrow going backwards, but I just couldn't get the last bit on the back one. ended taking the wheel down to my local H**fords and fluttering my eylashes to get it done!:blush:

I tried that, obviously picked the wrong mechanic, spent half an hour in a gents cubicle !!

(and couldn't cycle home !!)

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I didn't even realise there were directional arrows...I'm learning lots on this forum! This has been the summer I learned stuff!

Thoughts on slow punctures...how do they work? I noticed on holiday that I always had to pump up the front tyre every morning as it was just a bit soft, but not flat!! Then I take the inner tube out and there's an actual hole in it. So we repaired the hole and it's still gone down overnight. What's that all about??

domtyler

Über Member
Cathryn said:
I didn't even realise there were directional arrows...I'm learning lots on this forum! This has been the summer I learned stuff!

Thoughts on slow punctures...how do they work? I noticed on holiday that I always had to pump up the front tyre every morning as it was just a bit soft, but not flat!! Then I take the inner tube out and there's an actual hole in it. So we repaired the hole and it's still gone down overnight. What's that all about??

In some countries the air particles are a lot smaller so will leak out anyway overnight.

Membrane

Cathryn said:
Then I take the inner tube out and there's an actual hole in it. So we repaired the hole and it's still gone down overnight. What's that all about??

You must have punctured it when removing the tube.

I'm guessing that assuming that this was the cause you then fixed the hole and stuffed the tube back in. Take it out again (carefully this time :blush: ), submerge it should reveal the slow leak.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
No, i put a different tube in (which is still fine) but the old tube, dangling over the handlebars has gone down. I shall get out my bowl of water and try the old trick again.

Blue

Legendary Member
Cathryn said:
No, i put a different tube in (which is still fine) but the old tube, dangling over the handlebars has gone down. I shall get out my bowl of water and try the old trick again.

don't forget to check for bubbles eminating from the valve!!

Top Bottom