paid mileage or commuting down the A38

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Hey all

Tomorrow i need to travel to liskeard for training from roche so will need to travel up the A30 (not a problem) but then will need to go down the A38 from Bodmin to the other end of Liskeard. My boss has offered me travelling expenses (around 35-40P per mile, its a 40 mile round trip) but i was looking into cycling there and back but have no real knowledge of that stretch of the A38. i only need to travel it for 2 days though

anyone been down it in rush hour an know how congested/busy it gets? training doesnt start till 10 so i may just leave at 8:15 and see how i go (can hold average of 15mph on my normal commute up to 12 miles but not really tried longer) also could i claim mileage allowance for using the bike for work purposes?

Yes, you can claim 20p per mile for cycling

OP
OP
Kiwiavenger

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
the missus is a bit reluctant to let me cycle down it as my dad put the frighteners on her by saying "its bad enough with a truck down there let alone a bike"

ive done busier roads (a38 to bristol airport in rush hour) bigger roads (a30) and all the country lanes inbetween so i dont have a problem with it! lol. ill just disappear early saying "im going for a ride before work, see you later!!!" i reckon. 21.1 miles with 1400+ foot of climbing there, not worked out the route home yet but already have a back up incase im shattered!

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
It depends who you work for as far as claiming goes, if it's the council you'd only get first 3 miles as after that it's not seen as most efficient form of travel.
Never cycled the A38 but can see it would be that bad having driven it lots, it's all a 50mph zone with most of it done at 40! Let us know how you get on

Nebulous

Guru
I started a new job in July, and get 12p a mile for cycling. No limits as far as I am aware. I've done 3 round trips of over 60 miles this month. What I won't be doing however is claiming for time. I reckon choosing to cycle for 4 hours a day is up to me, because I don't want to insure a vehicle for work use.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I know- it is a ridiculous system, if I spend 30 minutes doing a 5 mile trip in the car that's seen as fine for 30 minutes work and £2 fuel but if I ride it in 15 mins they'll give me 60p towards wear and tear and do it in my own time :S. Talk about disincentive!

OP
OP
Kiwiavenger

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Made it in fine. They're resurfacing parts of the a38 nd although it's nice and smooth its still very sticky! Trying to maintain 20mph through it was hard work!!! It wasnt too bad. It opens up on the climbs a bit so not too bad, it's the bit near trago that worried me but it was pretty uneventful!

OP
OP
Kiwiavenger

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Managed 2 hrs 35 there and back, 2800 ft of climbing and a max speed of 48.6 mph! Also managed 2nd (just 1 second off Kom) on one segment and 3rd on another coming home! Got a major stitch coming up the hill from bodmin parkway though.

Top Bottom