Painting rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim55

Guru
I'm building a bike from bits IV got however I need to paint the wheels,( they are going satin black- everything is)
They are regular Alu rims with braking track machined and black bladed spokes .
Is it ok to just paint over brake tracks and let the brake blocks rub it off, or would u try and mask off ,if so any tips as masking that off can't be easy

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd mask them off.I know of a bike that had painted rims (promo bike for a shop) they squealed like buggery till the paint wore off and it took a while as the bike was only used at events Critical Mass and Ride Leicester etc.)

D

Deleted member 23692

Mask them off. It's easy. Frist get some decent masking tape, not some non-brand pound-shop cheapniss.

Then mask the brake track off using numerous overlapping straight pieces and don't try to follow the curve with a singles pieces.

Once done, drop in back in the frame/forks and using a new, sharp stanley blade andthe frame forks to steady the blade, slowly rotate the wheel and you'll cut a perfect concentric circle using the edge of the brake track as a guide. Obviously you'll need to mask all the spokes too.

You can also put the wheels in the frame/forks when you come to spray the rims too. Spin the wheels slowly and hold the spray can stationary and you'll get a good even coat.

Another top tip is to stand the rattle can in hot water for a few minutes to warn up the contents before spraying and it goes on better and dries quicker

These were done using the exact same method...
Before
Maratone Side a.jpg

After

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Mask them off. It's easy. Frist get some decent masking tape, not some non-brand pound-shop cheapniss.

Then mask the brake track off using numerous overlapping straight pieces and don't try to follow the curve with a singles pieces.

Once done, drop in back in the frame/forks and using a new, sharp stanley blade andthe frame forks to steady the blade, slowly rotate the wheel and you'll cut a perfect concentric circle using the edge of the brake track as a guide. Obviously you'll need to mask all the spokes too.

You can also put the wheels in the frame/forks when you come to spray the rims too. Spin the wheels slowly and hold the spray can stationary and you'll get a good even coat.

Another top tip is to stand the rattle can in hot water for a few minutes to warn up the contents before spraying and it goes on better and dries quicker

These were done using the exact same method...
Before
View attachment 573341
After
View attachment 573343
Good job, You even had the forethought to re-drill the valve holes so they lined up with repainted N logo's!:laugh:

D

Deleted member 23692

Good job, You even had the forethought to re-drill the valve holes so they lined up with repainted N logo's!:laugh:
It's all in the detail :smile:

Top Bottom