pannier advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In september I'll be riding round Northumberland for 5 days and will be using a specialized sirrus expert. Anybody help me in choosing the right panniers for this please. Is the bike even suitable for this?
I've been offered some Deuter DS rack packs for £45 (second hand)should I consider them? I see on the website they are designed for the front and I was looking at using them on the rear.
Any help would be much appreciated as I really have no clue about this having never used panniers I've always been a heavy bag sweaty back type of bloke!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
If they are in good condition the price isn't too bad, they strike me as a little small, but that needn't be a bad thing (it stops you taking too much). It would also be worth having a look at these, Mrs HJ used them on a ride along the Coasts and Castles South cycle route the other weekend. As for the bike, there is nothing wrong with that, if you are happy riding it, then it is fine for touring.

I'm puzzled..

Why do you not just get Matilda to follow along with your luggage in Dreamy Boom-Boom?

Or is that a different kind of "trip"?

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
the only real problem to look out for with panniers is that you have enough foot clearance when pedaling.

some bikes have very short chain-stays and you can clip your foot on the bottom front corner of the pannier. a pain more than anything.

apart from that its just waterproofing, storage capacity and computability with your rack to think about.

OP
OP
dr snuggles
If they are in good condition the price isn't too bad, they strike me as a little small, but that needn't be a bad thing (it stops you taking too much). It would also be worth having a look at these, Mrs HJ used them on a ride along the Coasts and Castles South cycle route the other weekend. As for the bike, there is nothing wrong with that, if you are happy riding it, then it is fine for touring.

We'll be riding back down the coast from Berwick last couple of days so will be following the coastal route as well mate I know it well but cannot wait to take it in on my bike rather than driving.
I love the bike to be honest just need to get some decent pedals on it before I go I was just a bit worried weight wise with my fat arse and the bags on the back I wondered whether it would be suitable.

So in a nutshell is it just a case of choosing a rack suitable for the bike then going for the corresponding panniers? Would you fellas recommend taking the bike when I do this to check that there is sufficient room so as not to clip the bag with the back of my feet?

We'll be riding back down the coast from Berwick last couple of days so will be following the coastal route as well mate I know it well but cannot wait to take it in on my bike rather than driving.
I love the bike to be honest just need to get some decent pedals on it before I go I was just a bit worried weight wise with my fat arse and the bags on the back I wondered whether it would be suitable.

So in a nutshell is it just a case of choosing a rack suitable for the bike then going for the corresponding panniers? Would you fellas recommend taking the bike when I do this to check that there is sufficient room so as not to clip the bag with the back of my feet?

I don't know about all makes of panniers but mine you can adjust (rotate) them to an angle that doesnt clip your heal. Id rather do that adjustment at home than the lbs. Good luck :smile:

e-rider

crappy member
Ortlieb backroller classics are simply the best. Perhaps beyond your budget at £90 a pair.

If you can afford them these will last years or even a lifetime!

robbiep

Über Member
Dr Snuggles, hope this is helpful I lost the 1st message when the computer crashed!!!

I go LEJOG over 9 days starting Sept 1st on my old faithfull Specialized sirrus pro (8 year's old) and I deliberated for ages about which bag system to use. I tried to ride with some weight and I was blown away at how difficult just a little added weight made.

I plumped for this http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/creek2peak-pioneer-rack-pack-id35395.html it sits behind me on the rack, it has 16ltrs space and is large enough for my LEJOG trip, I am travelling light though!

If you dont want to use it for cycling again you could use it as a camera bag........it is very similar to my sisters canon bag!!

It has several different compartments and has 2 loops underneath that attach it to the rack. Makes fitting rear light difficult but as I use a 'cat eye' I bought an adaptor from Evans for £1.50 which enable me to fit to the rear of the bag.

Hope this helps!

Robbie

OP
OP
dr snuggles
bought some Deuter ds rack packs in the end and picked them up for just over £40 and they did the job nicely, although they can be a little small when camping.
Cheers for the help and advice everybody

Skyfoil

The Jolly Ginger Giant
I bought some cheap unbranded pannier bags from my LBS.
They didn't seem up to much, but i've used them every day for 5 months so far and they've been excellent.

As previously discussed, make sure yours don't obstruct your feet.
Waterproof / resistant / repellant is great, but a plastic bag inside works just as well to keep your things dry.

The only issue that I have with mine is the limited number of side pockets. (Only one.) I would personally find two or three pockets useful, as I don't like to carry things in my clothes pockets whilst i'm cycling.

Be strict with the amount of stuff you carry along. Try and balance the load on each side. Two small bags are always better than one large one for long rides IMO.

Top Bottom