Pannier bag woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theloafer

Legendary Member
+1 carradice had mine 25+ years ..:wacko:

Crankarm

Guru
The Eighth Man said:
I really like carradice stuff, it really lasts and keeps its contents dryer than any modern material

I must admit when I have looked at the Carradice range of panniers compared to Altura, Ortlieb and Vaude, I have not found their overall finish particularly good. I know this might be heresy to some, but I gave them a good inspection. Plus they weren't 100% waterproof. Some aspects of their design was significantly bettered by the other main manufacturers. I looked at some of the top of range Carradice or Carradry panniers before I bought Ortlieb and didn't like the hook mechanism at all. It looked like something that was knocked up with odd bits from Homebase or Focus DIY so gave them a miss. Some sharp aluminium edges as well! Obviously some like them, but they are not for me.

The Eighth Man

Crankarm said:
I must admit when I have looked at the Carradice range of panniers compared to Altura, Ortlieb and Vaude, I have not found their overall finish particularly good. I know this might be heresy to some, but I gave them a good inspection. Plus they weren't 100% waterproof. Some aspects of their design was significantly bettered by the other main manufacturers. I looked at some of the top of range Carradice or Carradry panniers before I bought Ortlieb and didn't like the hook mechanism at all. It looked like something that was knocked up with odd bits from Homebase or Focus DIY so gave them a miss. Some sharp aluminium edges as well! Obviously some like them, but they are not for me.

I have the Carradice Camper Longflap saddlebag and I can honestly say nothing has ever been even damp inside it, even when my feet have really and I mean really wet in my Sidi Goretex foul weather shoes. I like them they are traditional British product still made in Nelson Lancashire. Saying that I did loose my first one when it feel off my bike, but I do not think I put it on properly:blush::becool::blush::angry:

I've ridden through torrential rain for hours, and nothing has ever got wet inside my cotton duck Carradice. I used to have Overlanders, which were nylon, and gave in to rain after an hour or two, so it was worth lining them.

I use a Super C saddlebag every day, as well as panniers front or back, wedge pack, and barbag. My partner has a Camper longflap and a Barley, and I also have a Barley. Oh - and my son has a Junior. No rain problems, even when the bar bag has a pond on the lid.

I don't like Ortliebs partly because they're a faff to get in & out of. I much prefer a fastex buckle. The other reason is that I like to keep things organised and handy by using pockets. Ortliebs don't have them as standard and, while you can fit them (at great expense) afterwards, it compromises the water resistance.

Top Bottom