Pannier baskets rather than bags?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Browsing 'interweb for different pannier bags, I came across this - a mesh pannier basket rather than a bag.

Other than the fact that it's not waterproof :rolleyes: what would be the disadvantages of using them instead of a bag?

No lid, you could use bungees but that isn't great for small items.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Rust - if not stainless steel.

Break if dropped. Most panniers can be repaired or patched. You'll need to weld this one.

Everyone can see what you've got in there.

Sort of lockable (if you don't lose the keys :rolleyes: ). I've got some and locks are a bit cheap and nasty - plus the lids are only plastic, so wouldn't take much to rip off. Would need securing to the rack as well or they could just be lifted off and broken into at leisure. Bit awkward to carry around the supermarket and as they won't flex like pannier bags will, there is a limit to the amount of melons you can get into them.
On the plus side, they are waterproof and can be hosed out. They can also be used to carry beer and ice :thumbsup:. Then as a seat whilst drinking ice cold beer.

I did look at the basket things as a permently attached thing, just for dropping a couple of bags into if stopping off at the supermarket on the way home they looked fine.

OP
OP
coffeejo

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I do like the idea of beer on ice ... mmmmm ... but I think the bins would be a bit much. :laugh:

I just like the idea of fixing them permanently and folding them up when they're not needed, rather than carrying a pannier bag around the shops - and two strikes me as being infinitely worse.

Wednesday

Sort of lockable (if you don't lose the keys :rolleyes: ). I've got some and locks are a bit cheap and nasty - plus the lids are only plastic, so wouldn't take much to rip off. Would need securing to the rack as well or they could just be lifted off and broken into at leisure.

I wouldn't expect that to happen though. I have some of those basic double Basil panniers permanently attached to my bike with my high vis bits and lights in there all the time plus any shopping or layers that I can't be bothered to carry around. I leave it all over the place day and night and I've only once had something knicked (cheap windproof jacket; the rest was still there). Taking stuff from bikes is opportunistic; people aren't likely to bother breaking or taking a box in the hope that there's something worth having inside. Obviously you wouldn't want anything in there you couldn't stand to lose, though.

OP
OP
coffeejo

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I wouldn't expect that to happen though. I have some of those basic double Basil panniers permanently attached to my bike with my high vis bits and lights in there all the time plus any shopping or layers that I can't be bothered to carry around. I leave it all over the place day and night and I've only once had something knicked (cheap windproof jacket; the rest was still there). Taking stuff from bikes is opportunistic; people aren't likely to bother breaking or taking a box in the hope that there's something worth having inside. Obviously you wouldn't want anything in there you couldn't stand to lose, though.

Hmm, I know those aren't waterproof but what are they like once they've been rained on a few times?

Wednesday

Hmm, I know those aren't waterproof but what are they like once they've been rained on a few times?

They're fine. It takes a few hours of proper rain to get them wet inside (I think it's happened twice since I got them in September; I'm not an all weather cyclist though) and then they dry soon enough once they're open and empty. Apart from being a bit muddier they look and work the same as when I got them.

OP
OP
coffeejo

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
biggrin.gif
One day, I'll have a sit up n beg and it will be wickered. I hope that such a style will give the impression that I am elegant and graceful.

*falls off sofa laughing*

Top Bottom