Pannier help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

babyoilrig

Hi guys,

I am a complete newbie so please be kind :smile: I am a primary school teacher and have been commuting on a bike for a year now. The thing is I really need some advice on what panniers to buy. I have had a couple of sets of cheap ones which keep falling to bits (as I carry around 60-90 textbooks every day). I bought an Altura pair as I had been recommended them - but I had to send them back as they were way too small to carry all my books.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any durable panniers that will carry up to around 120 books (as I do sometimes carry that many). Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Cat x

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Ortlieb are very good and very tough. I have a pair of Back Roller Classics that are completely waterproof. I don't know if they have sufficient volume though. You can see the specification on this link...
http://www.ortlieb.co.uk/back-roller-classic.html

BTW, you can fix and unfix them to a rack in seconds without any hassle.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
An old friend of mine used to use Ortleib classics for carrying her marking home.
120 books is a lot of books to carry though, I doubt you'd get that many in a pair of rears and there'd be a serious bit of weight there.
A trailer might be better bet?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Otherwise is there an option to fit panniers front and rear? 4 panniers should swallow 120 books without a massive problem. Good resistance training though :smile:

Ben M

Ortileb make the best panniers. Carradice are also good.

As said by the above, consider also using a front rack to spread some weight (although your post suggests that you've been getting on okay so far.

Top Bottom