Parents and owners of Trailer Bikes/ Trail-Gator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeorgeS

Regular
Hi everyone,

I'm a student at Loughborough University in my final year of a product design degree; as part of this I must redesign an existing product or invent something completely new. I have decided to focus on Trailer Bikes and, in particular, improving the tow bar concept used by the Trail-Gator.

I like the fact that the Trail-Gator adds flexibility and allows the child to have freedom, as well giving them the option to be hooked on when tired. Has anyone had any particularly bad experiences with this product?

I've heard and read that they can be really awkward to fit; is there a particular aspect of the design that is most troublesome?

I have managed to get my hands on a second hand Trail-Gator and, having looked closely at it, feel that it actually appears quite cheap - anyone agree? Has anyone had any concerns over the quality of it when in use?

If you have any further input unrelated to the questions above then I would be hugely grateful! Looking for ways of improving what is already on the market...

If people have some answers to any of the following questions that would be great!

· Have you had previousexperience with the Trail-Gator product?

· If yes, how do you feel it compares with the more traditional Trailer Bikes?

· If no, do you know of anyone who has and what experiences they have had with it?

· What do you see as the advantages and disadvantages of the Trailer Bikes and Trail-Gator designs?

· A possible concern with these products is that the child is behind the parent and out of view; I am considering a design where the child is alongside - what are your thoughts on this?

· Have you got any further comments you would like to make about these products and ways of improving them?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation

yes

don't know, never tried one, but i now have a burley child trailer, which is excellent and a preferable alternative

· If no, do you know of anyone who has and what experiences they have had with it?

· What do you see as the advantages and disadvantages of the Trailer Bikes and Trail-Gator designs?

pros: cheap, good way to get them riding their own bikes

cons: you need two seats and posts unless you want the 'gator travelling with you all the time. the hitch mechanism is a bit agricultural. also, if you fall over, so do they

· A possible concern with these products is that the child is behind the parent and out of view; I am considering a design where the child is alongside - what are your thoughts on this?

useless on the road and probably of little use on most trails

· Have you got any further comments you would like to make about these products and ways of improving them?

subaqua

What’s the point

Yes

never used any other type of trailer bikes so unable to compare

trail gator was the choice for our family as it means my child(ren) can use their own bike to ride with when we get to our destination while i can sit and have a cuppa. also menas not purchasing a "bike" that isn't · A possible concern with these products is that the child is behind the parent and out of view; I am considering a design where the child is alongside - what are your thoughts on this?

close passes by morons concerns me here

· Have you got any further comments you would like to make about these products and ways of improving them.
better availability of extra bits in the UK rather than a 4 month wait for parts from the USA, better stowage on the adult bike , centre pull brakes require an adaptor kit could the mounting anchor not be redesigned to allow for this

The biggest issue with all these designs is the "flick" as the child moves position

This is transferred to the seatpost and causes the lead bike to move - unnerving at first, but easy to compensate when you become more experienced.

The downside is as the child gets bigger, the flick becomes greater as well.

It means that single children are all that can safely be pulled.

One of the most sought after machines is a "U+2", a tandem version with two wheels at the back - a massively more stable system.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
One of the most sought after machines is a "U+2", a tandem version with two wheels at the back - a massively more stable system.

I had the U+2... A most fabulous piece of machinery once my 2 bubbas became too big for their trailer, but too young to ride indpendently.
I now use a Mission Piggybcak for #2, same set up as the U+2 but for one child.

I borrowed a trailgator from a friend... wanted to try before I bought, I hated it, the flick you mention was horrid, my son has limited use of his left side, so really struggled to keep his balance.. I also found setting it up with the brake adjustment as mentioned to be a right PITA,
I bought a single wheeled trailerbike, and again the wobble was scary, even when #3 used it, he would swing all over the place on it, he fell off several times & twice this caused me to come down with him - Luckliy both times we were on off road paths. Yet #3 has had no probelms riding his own 2 wheeld bike/keeping his balnace & the only falls he's had have been on tricky surfaces.

OP
OP
G

GeorgeS

Regular
Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for the replies already, much appreciated.

I am getting into the concept development stage of my project now and just had some questions relating to bags...

When using trailer bikes/trail-gator, do people tend to wear a rucksack to carry things for the day out etc?

If so, what kind of things would you normally put in there?

Do you feel this could hinder your movement and restrict being able to look over your shoulder to check your child?

I am considering adding some form of storage aspect to my design, possibly that then acts as a mud guard... any thoughts?

Thanks again!

subaqua

What’s the point
When using trailer bikes/trail-gator, do people tend to wear a rucksack to carry things for the day out etc?

yes

If so, what kind of things would you normally put in there?

packed lunches, bike pump, replacement tubes for my bike and 1 tube for sproggits.

Do you feel this could hinder your movement and restrict being able to look over your shoulder to check your child

it does a bit but my wifey or eldest daughter rides behind us and keeps an eye out from there.

Top Bottom