Park tools patch problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've had a puncture against the rim - going onto a kerb too fast. I've used Park Tools self-adhesive patches very happily in the past, with no issues. On this occasion though they're not working. Sticks fine, stays up, but then goes down overnight as the patch "creases" and air channels develop.

I think it's because the patch is on the inside circumference of the tube. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Thanks

barq

That makes a certain amount of sense. I guess you may need to repair the tube the traditional way (or replace it). Presumably you did rough up the surface of the tube before trying to stick the patch? - sorry to ask, but it is easy to forget. :blush:

OP
OP
T
No, it's a fair question. The tube was roughed up, (take that, tube "oof!") and wasn't dirtied by a greasy finger afterwards, so I don't know what else it might be.

TimO

Guru
I've never relied on those Park patches as anything more than a get-me-home solution, since I've always just been able to peel them off with my fingers. A properly put on "traditional" patch virtually becomes part of the tube, and in general will pretty much be as strong as the original tube.

Tynan

Veteran
yeah, what's wrong with proper patches and glues and chalk

people seem to be too good to patch tubes these days

my old bike had twenty something patches on the rear, the bikes rusting at the end of the garden with the same rear tube in it

Jonathan M

I found Park patches tend to go off, so is this an older pack you've been using. I had the symptoms you describe when I used a patch from a pack that must have been maybe 5 years old.

Top Bottom