Parking space required next weekend. Newcastle or Morpeth (1-4th Sept)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
:hello:Hi good folks of Cycle chat

I've been dropped in the doo-doo by the rail strikes on 1st Sept.

I'm one of 3 people due to catch a train to Newcastle on Friday to cycle the Coast & Castles route to Edinburgh and then a train from Edinburgh back to Manchester on the Monday morning.

All the forward planning is now possibly ruined and some of our accommodation is also non refundable, unless we can find a plan B.

We could drive to Newcastle or Morpeth on the Friday and collect the car on Monday if any of the forum regulars has a driveway space we could borrow/use for the weekend?

We should arrive about 11am on Friday 1st Sept and be back at the car around 11-12am on the Monday 4th.

Any help much appreciated and a donation to a charity of your choice.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
:hello:Hi good folks of Cycle chat

I've been dropped in the doo-doo by the rail strikes on 1st Sept.

I'm one of 3 people due to catch a train to Newcastle on Friday to cycle the Coast & Castles route to Edinburgh and then a train from Edinburgh back to Manchester on the Monday morning.

All the forward planning is now possibly ruined and some of our accommodation is also non refundable, unless we can find a plan B.

We could drive to Newcastle or Morpeth on the Friday and collect the car on Monday if any of the forum regulars has a driveway space we could borrow/use for the weekend?

We should arrive about 11am on Friday 1st Sept and be back at the car around 11-12am on the Monday 4th.

Any help much appreciated and a donation to a charity of your choice.

If no luck with CC membership, use this. Very good App and reasonable pricing.

https://www.yourparkingspace.co.uk/

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
You're welcome to park on my drive in Blyth. If neceesary you can cycle from there to Cramlington to get a train back to Newcastle/Morpeth.

That's right on our route for day 1 so would bizarrely see us riding back past you in the afternoon on our way to Warkworth.

Great offer thanks, but so far looks like the YourParkingSpace website might have landed us a prime spot a few minutes away from Newcastle train station so we can start on the water front cycle route and then get the train straight back on the Monday.

We'll wave as we pedal through :hello:

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Well, it was all sorted but things haven't gone quite to plan!

I asked the driver for his vehicle reg so I could book the spot but he said he would book it himself..... Obviously he has only just got around to it and there are no spaces left......

We can park at the train station but reviews suggest the spaces are ridiculously narrow so I doubt we will get his pick-up truck parked in there (It's one of those daft big Ford double cab things, HUGE!).

YourParkingSpace is suggesting a car park facing a mosque out near St James Park which seems ideal but I'm just wary of suggesting it in case anything happens to his car while it is parked up for a long weekend.

Anyone local know what the area is like, is it a no-go zone or is crime/vandalism risk the same as any other area?

Here - https://goo.gl/maps/jrAF7qZP4xKKjGju5

Willd

Veteran
YourParkingSpace is suggesting a car park facing a mosque out near St James Park which seems ideal but I'm just wary of suggesting it in case anything happens to his car while it is parked up for a long weekend.

Anyone local know what the area is like, is it a no-go zone or is crime/vandalism risk the same as any other area?

Depends if he has a Sunderland sticker in the back window :whistle:

Do you feel lucky?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Well, it was all sorted but things haven't gone quite to plan!

I asked the driver for his vehicle reg so I could book the spot but he said he would book it himself..... Obviously he has only just got around to it and there are no spaces left......

We can park at the train station but reviews suggest the spaces are ridiculously narrow so I doubt we will get his pick-up truck parked in there (It's one of those daft big Ford double cab things, HUGE!).

I've stayed in an Air B&B the other side of Westgate Road and it seemed Ok as an area, fairly quiet.

Unrelated- I also did same route back in May, I think I left the odd tip / recommendation on a thread on here, you may well have already read it.

Enjoy, its a lovely route.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I think you'll be fine up there. There's a lot of university buildings up that way now.

Have a great trip. As you come towards the harbour at Blyth look out for a lighthouse in a back lane. I'll probably be in a garden there & will wave :hello:

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Fantastic, stunning, incredible, friendly people, life time experience and perfect weather.

We parked at the mosque and car was untouched on our return despite my/our concerns.

We rode up the coast then along the Tweed to Innerleithen before heading north over the top to Edinburgh.

Trip went perfectly thanks.

IMG_20230901_182629.jpg

IMG_20230902_154558.jpg

IMG_20230903_145830.jpg

IMG_20230903_124859.jpg

IMG_20230902_132023.jpg

Top Bottom