Parking your bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G3CWI

G3CWI

Veteran
Lots of great stuff there. Thanks!

simongt

Guru
They then doubled the capacity by installing complicated wheel clamp devices between each Sheffield rack!!!!.
Yup, I well recall those dreadful things - ! Obviously designed by some pious, well meaning individual who'd not ridden a bike for many a year - ! :rofl:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
At Norwich Library they had some excellent stainless Sheffield racks . They replaced them with some ghastly plasticky Hi-low racks that gather leaves and beercans. The big selling point of the new style was no ground works required, just concrete bolts. !!!!
Streetpods? The big selling points were that they could sell ad space on them and the police Secure by Design officer was keen on them for reducing thefts, presumably because nothing except a mudguardless fixie/ss/IHG can park in them without suffering damage so everyone wants to park in any remaining Sheffield stands! (the plastic channels bend mudguard tips and the feet bend derailleurs)

figbat

Slippery scientist
Surely someone has invented a bike stand where the locking mechanism is integral so you either don’t need to carry a lock at all or all you need is a padlock?
I came across something this year that looked like it was trying to be something like that, but I couldn't work out how they worked. There appeared to be some kind of flap but in the brief time I spent contemplating them when I parked my motorbike there I didn't get it. They were here.

1605518139491.png

Last edited:

mjr

That's a great link.

Has anyone an idea of a ball-park figure for a Sheffield stand? I'm nagging my local council (again) about cycle parking and it'd be nice to have an idea of the sort of budget they might need to find.
£43 ex vat. https://www.broxap.com/sheffield-tapping-bar.html

You want the bar if possible, to stop locks being smashed on the floor, but a plain Sheffield is £29.99, just £2 more than a shooty wheelbender. Makes you wonder what sort of bike hater you have to be to still try to install a wheel bender now.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
£43 ex vat. https://www.broxap.com/sheffield-tapping-bar.html

You want the bar if possible, to stop locks being smashed on the floor, but a plain Sheffield is £29.99, just £2 more than a shooty wheelbender. Makes you wonder what sort of bike hater you have to be to still try to install a wheel bender now.
Thanks! I have councillors offering to use part of their budget so it's good to be able to quote an approximate figure. No doubt county council purchasing red tape will mean they have to buy from approved suppliers.

To be honest at that price I'd be willing to pay for it myself!

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Thanks! I have councillors offering to use part of their budget so it's good to be able to quote an approximate figure. No doubt county council purchasing red tape will mean they have to buy from approved suppliers.

To be honest at that price I'd be willing to pay for it myself!
Broxap are an approved supplier to many councils. If not, try to find out who is. Velopa and Cyclehoop are also widespread.

Top Bottom