Pashley Clubman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
A pic of the prototype. 3 speed SA S3X hub, front hub brake, 531 frame, Brooks etc.

Due out in April next year. Cost: £950ish

3998341993_15600aafa0_o.jpg

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Looks nice on first inspection... but very pricey...
Frame looks somehow familiar, like the old Galaxy 531 frame.
Mmm, not sure about it really.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
hehe, because 3rd is direct drive, with the other 2 ratios being below it, rather than the traditional middle gear being direct drive with 1st below and 3rd above, the chainset to sprocket ratio makes you look like you're an Olympian.

why SA do it this way is beyond me, unless it's to make trendy fixed riders in london village look more athletic than they really are, to bicycle geeks at least:wacko:

i'm sure it's a lovely bike..... but at £1k it's a fashion statement to a few wealthy poseurs. well, pashley know their market:laugh:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I saw it at the Cycle Show. I gather it's a fixed-wheel but with three gears? I know there used to be a two-speed fixed wheel hub that Sturmey Archer used to make.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The fixed three was much rarer.
The bike seems designed to be looked at rather than ridden - which is about right for the intended market.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The S3X is what this bike uses.

The two lower gears being reductions from direct drive is something shared with the old ASC hub. That was a hack of the FC (or the AF) with various pawl and ratchet sets replaced with positive drive - in fact, as the original ASC shifter is far rarer than the hub, many people just use a 4-speed shifter, missing out "2".

There was said to be a fair bit of lash between driving and braking with the ASC, and I doubt the S3X is any different. Still, if it means you can leave the rear brake off...

The Clubman looks pretty good to me, but the hub brake is pointlessly heavy and it doesn't need a derailleur eye. It's cheaper to restore the real thing, anyway:

fork1.jpg

This one is running an AM rather than an ASC, but it is a 50s clubman frame.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
i'd prefer your red one to a new pashley, even if they were the same price. i'm not asking to buy it though, i'm too tall :ohmy:

but you're right, drum brakes are fantastic for utility machines, but an aesthetic no-no on that bike regardless of the weight.
as for the captive nut for a crude device dérailleur, it would suggest that pashley aren't making this frame for this set-up, if they're making the frame at al :thumbsup:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Pashley seem to be big on drum brakes. Authentically, they should be using rod brakes, but I'm prepared to let that slide. Actually come to think of it, were rod brakes that bad?

There's an old guy (looks about 80) who guards the baggage room at my running club. He doesn't run, but he's a mad keen cyclist. He has a couple featherlight carbon-fibre De Rosa and Colnago road bikes equipped with trick Campagnolo components. I wonder what his reaction would be if someone turned up with one of these Pashley Clubmen. I doubt he'd be impressed to be honest. I still want one though.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I've just been looking at the Pashley news page. It looks like there will be three hub options: the S3X-3 speed fixed gear, the SRC3-3 speed with coaster brake, or the latest S2C-2 speed kickshift with coaster brake. The last option means you don't even need a rear gear cable.

Yellow Fang said:
Pashley seem to be big on drum brakes. Authentically, they should be using rod brakes, but I'm prepared to let that slide. Actually come to think of it, were rod brakes that bad?
Yes. <shudder> My first Royal Mail postbike had rod brakes. Diabolically awful in the wet and you had to practice psychic braking even in the dry. I refused to ride it after while because it was so dangerous.

Dickew

Was in Condor London couple of weeks ago- they have one of their single speed frames kitted out with same 3spd fixed hubs.
A more sensible approach than the Pashley?

Top Bottom