Pashley Moulton TSR 30

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billiobob

Veteran
I am considering getting one of these through the Bike2Work scheme. As it will also be my retirement present to myself I wanted something a little different. I also had a Moulton 3 speed 20 years ago which I used to carry my kids on using the rear carrier and a converted car type baby carrier (sadly nicked) so it is a bit of a nostalgia trip as well. I have in mind some sportives and longer touring trips carrying only light luggage starting with a ride from Manchester along the North Wales coastal cycleway heading for Holyhead and over to my birthplace in Ireland. Any comments or experiences of sportive or audax riders on this machine would be welcome.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
There's some Moulton fans in the special interest forum.

See Bonk Man's posts.

Giant make the Escape Mini bike that has Moulton influences.

The space frame Moultons do look pretty cool though.

I have a separable TSR30, one of the very first in fact. I too was looking for something more left field. I'd always had a hankering for a Moulton so took the plunge.

It's been very reliable, no major faults to report other than keep an eye on the rear suspension pivot. Mine kept working loose and in the end I "locktight"-ed it. The front suspension is relatively simple and rebuilds can be done if you've got the patience. And the tyres, Schwalbe Stelvios, are b******s to get on and off the rims, but they have loads of grip!

It rides like a "big" bike, the frame and suspension work brilliantly. I've not done any sportives on it, but it's been ridden "fast" and light touring is it's strong point. I've only used the "granny" ring once, and that was on a shake down ride.

It is quite heavy, 11kg plus, but you hardly notice it. Only honking up really steep climbs does it begin to show, with the suspension "bobbing" but stay in the saddle and spin, keeping the bike stable, and it settles down again.

The best thing about it though is when you go hurtling past other cyclists who think you're on a "folder" and can't keep up!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
my next bike will be the moulton tsr drop bar in glossy red...mmmmmm

edit: double pylons...mmmmm...will have to save up for a few decades to get one of them tho!!

Top Bottom