Pavement cycling, home office guidance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
@domtyler...you could fit a child seat and, with baby in it, walk the bike to nursery. That's what I did cos I wasn't keen on taking to the roads and didn't want to cycle on the pavement either.

RANDOM

gambatte said:
Nope thought it was the RLJer thread or the longrunning thread about Magnatom and the 'bloodbus' crew.

Had a scan there and can't see anything. A lot to go thro tho.

It was a quote of home office guidance, basically saying that pavement riding was essentially OK in certain circumstances.

Want to throw a spanner in the works on another forum and upset the car drivers.....

[Edit: thanks Cab]

Yeah why not but before you do maybe you should look at the off topic you will see the head line (Cyclist facing jail ''wanton'' cyclist kills pedestrian on pavement).

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
If the road is safe enough for you, why not for baby as well? If it isn't, one could take the contrary view that then you'd be risking letting her grow up without a father. (No, I don't believe it's a risk at all, it's probably no different to walking).

10 month old is probably on the young side to go in a bike seat though, due to a wobbly head. I'd consider a trailer myself, better for baby and much safer than a child seat.

Abitrary

This whole issue needs a Pulp Fiction type public information film, in a cafe where John Travolta and Samuel Jackson discuss how people ride on the pavements in europe...

'That's some f**cked up shoot brother'
'Yeah, but if feels good'

surfgurl

Abitrary said:
This whole issue needs a Pulp Fiction type public information film, in a cafe where John Travolta and Samuel Jackson discuss how people ride on the pavements in europe...

'That's some f**cked up shoot brother'
'Yeah, but if feels good'

I agree!

Mr Celine

Discordian
domtyler said:
What do others think? I don't mind going on the roads eventually in theory but am extremely nervous about doing it with this 'super-precious bundle' on board as any other parent will understand.

Try it first with just the seat and without the SPB on board. You will notice that most cars pass you leaving an extra foot or so of space.
Then try it with the SPB - the cars now pass you with an extra 3 feet of space.

My SPBs are now 12 and 10 - taking them everywhere on the roads never did them any harm.

domtyler

Über Member
BentMikey said:
If the road is safe enough for you, why not for baby as well? If it isn't, one could take the contrary view that then you'd be risking letting her grow up without a father. (No, I don't believe it's a risk at all, it's probably no different to walking).

10 month old is probably on the young side to go in a bike seat though, due to a wobbly head. I'd consider a trailer myself, better for baby and much safer than a child seat.

Mikey, as always, your logic is infallible. However, this is the one area where my heart wins out over my head. :biggrin::biggrin:

She is definitely strong enough to go in a seat, she is walking already and very strong (I had her doing sit ups at two months! :biggrin:).

Thanks for all the other advice chaps, the roads are empty that I go on and this morning I took a nice shortcut across the field, scooted along one long wide stretch of pavement and then pushed the rest of the way which is all up and down over kerbs. I think I will get a seat to begin with as the trailer might be overkill just for this short journey although will probably end up with one of those as well knowing me.

RANDOM said:
Yeah why not but before you do maybe you should look at the off topic you will see the head line (Cyclist facing jail ''wanton'' cyclist kills pedestrian on pavement).

Can you see anyone here condoning a cyclist traveling at 25mph on a pavement? I think not. Of course this guy was a twat of the highest order and he should be punished accordingly. There are twats in all forms of transport including cycling.

However, I have a challenge for you, can you find out how many people are killed on pavements by cars per year, and compare that to how many people are killed by cyclists on the pavement every year. I don't have this statistic to hand but I think it would surprise you.

domtyler said:
Mikey, as always, your logic is infallible. However, this is the one area where my heart wins out over my head. :biggrin::biggrin:

She is definitely strong enough to go in a seat, she is walking already and very strong (I had her doing sit ups at two months! :biggrin:).

Thanks for all the other advice chaps, the roads are empty that I go on and this morning I took a nice shortcut across the field, scooted along one long wide stretch of pavement and then pushed the rest of the way which is all up and down over kerbs. I think I will get a seat to begin with as the trailer might be overkill just for this short journey although will probably end up with one of those as well knowing me.

Just to add I have my two year old in a hamax seat, which works well. Car drivers do give you more space when they see the seat. I have been tempted to keep it on the bike with a small child sized manikin in place....:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
magnatom said:
Just to add I have my two year old in a hamax seat, which works well. Car drivers do give you more space when they see the seat. I have been tempted to keep it on the bike with a small child sized manikin in place....:biggrin:

I've sometimes wondered about having one, with a large teddy sitting it, wearing a helmet. Reckon that would fool most drivers from behind!

Top Bottom