Paying the price!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe

Über Member
Due to uni work/placements and general laziness I've barely done any cycling (except for shops and measley 3 mile round trip commute) since November.
I went out just now for a gentle 33 miler (albeit with one big climb) and boy am I paying for it!:sad:
Despite riding at a low pace my heartrate barely dropped below 170 for the first hour, after which I bonked and went through all kinds of pain getting home. Cramps (which I've never had) in my calfs and thighs and straight down to my lowest gear on even the slightest incline.
The weather didn't help ("feels like -4 according to Metcheck" and was snowing on the climb) but it's seriously not goodxx(
I think I might stick the compact on and try and grind out some big miles to get my stamina back. Feels like I'm starting cycling all over again:sad:

Pesky life getting in the way of my cycling.:smile:

Ravenz

it's not just us yumans that can seriously lose condition :smile:;):sad:;)
http://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/articles/preparation.htm

"...How to tell that your horse is approaching his limitations:
1. Panting or blowing respirations
2. Heart rate more than 150 bpm
3. Profuse sweating...":biggrin:

jayce

i went out on fri only 20 miles had cramp in my calf then a pain in my sholder thought i was having a pull . and its always my right calf adjusted my cleats over and over so im going to try the speedplay free floats . this weather is getting me down

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
Aye, just need to get the miles in! Sad thing is, this time this time last year I was doing big miles every weekend and a 75 mile a week commute. Now I have much nicer bikes, but less time and motivation and essentially no commute! Weather really doesn't help.
Now if only I could get off the forums and do some work tonight then I could get out there tomorrow;)

Marathon

sometimes this happen, Joe, you may say laziness but it may due to too much work to do, too busy or varies reason. With what you said the temperature -4 I think it is pretty understanding...

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
Chrisz said:
One consolation - you can re-gain fitness much faster than getting fit for the first time ;)
Lets hope so! Im entered in a hilly 150 mile sportive and am planning a (solo camping) LEJOG this summer:ohmy:
Been out again today and it was much better. 53 miles over similar terrain, at a much more respectable average speed (17.5mph compared to 15mph the other day). Didn't bonk either which was quite something considering my food was frozen solid:laugh:

Top Bottom