Peak District

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sillysimon10

I have the day off work on Tuesday and was thinking of hopping on the train to Snowdon, but don't want to pay out just to get there and back.
So Ive been wanting to get on a nice road, and the peak district cropped up...I'll be starting in Glossop and heading along the A57,turning left up past the reservoirs and along the A628 finishing the loop. May do it a couple of times depending on how me legs feel!!

So, just wondering if anyone had done these roads, and would like to share their experience!

Happy pedaling,

Si :rolleyes:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Don't ride the Snake (A57) during rush hour as it is a much used link between Manchester and Sheffield, but later in the morning/early afternoon and you should be good to go.

Left past Ladybower takes you through Strines valley which is a challenging stretch with some steep sections.

A628 can be very busy with HGV's and is somewhat claustrophobic in places.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Strines is a tough one. You may be better heading over towards Holmes Moss after Stines Moor, as climbing the Woodhead from Sheffield is horrible - traffic wise, and mid week it will be full of HGV's

endoman

Over Snake, up through Strines, Cafe at Langsett, Holmfirth, Holme Moss, down Woodhead a bit then across reservoir and back to Glossop that way. It's part of the route of Tour of The Peak, and a great ride,

OP
OP
Sillysimon10

Sillysimon10

Cheers gang!
Weather is going to be awful tomorrow, so may save it for a sunny (fat chance) day! Definitely on the to do list!
Do we know of any other nice routes in this kind of area? (I live in Warrington)

Over Snake, up through Strines, Cafe at Langsett, Holmfirth, Holme Moss, down Woodhead a bit then across reservoir and back to Glossop that way. It's part of the route of Tour of The Peak, and a great ride,
Cracking route did part of it twenty odd years ago when thankfully a lot of the freight went by rail so not as many HGV's. Set off from Langsett but I still knew about it when I had finished!

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/recreation/article/wtr-road-Snake-Pass-Holme-Moss-Loop-0

and another good one!

http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Hathersage_to_Grindlow_Circular-Cycle-Route-1174.html
Enjoy.

Fubar

Guru
Cracking route did part of it twenty odd years ago when thankfully a lot of the freight went by rail so not as many HGV's. Set off from Langsett but I still knew about it when I had finished!

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/recreation/article/wtr-road-Snake-Pass-Holme-Moss-Loop-0

and another good one!

http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Hathersage_to_Grindlow_Circular-Cycle-Route-1174.html
Enjoy.

If you are passing through Grindleford (as in the route above) there is a great cafe at the railway station called, unsurprisingly the Grindleford Cafe - massive plates of food, pint mugs of tea and/or coffee, basic but cheap and (sometimes) cheerful!

It's easy to miss, as you are leaving Grindleford heading North there is a sign for the railway station - head right down to the bottom of the hill. Some nice walks from there as well, we always make a point of going there on holiday. Regards, Mark

If you are passing through Grindleford (as in the route above) there is a great cafe at the railway station called, unsurprisingly the Grindleford Cafe - massive plates of food, pint mugs of tea and/or coffee, basic but cheap and (sometimes) cheerful!

It's easy to miss, as you are leaving Grindleford heading North there is a sign for the railway station - head right down to the bottom of the hill. Some nice walks from there as well, we always make a point of going there on holiday. Regards, Mark

Top recommendation mate:thumbsup:.
I have used this cafe for years, it used to be referred to as 'The Bite at the End of the Tunnel' due to it's location. Best bacon buttie and mug o tea for miles. Also do nice cakes and buns.

endoman

Going to divert some of my rides to try the Grindleford Cafe, sounds a hidden gem.

goodstevess

yeah, i agree, Strines is a tough one. You may be better heading over towards Holmes Moss after Stines Moor
188.jpg

Top Bottom