Ped not looking!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AdamBlade

Nearly wiped out a ped who wasn't looking. I was on a cycle lane going against the traffic on a one-way road. Ped looked left but not right and stepped right in front of me!! Breaked heavy and shouted then realised he had headphones on and couldn't here a thing!! Totally oblivious.

This is the first incident in nearly 1000 miles commuting to work. Was beginning to think I was lucky compared to others who have posted on here.

Mr Pig

AdamBlade said:
This is the first incident in nearly 1000 miles commuting to work.

Good greif! I want to live where you live! ;0)

OP
OP
AdamBlade

AdamBlade

Most of commute is in bus lanes and they seem to be quite considerate. Get the odd one pulling out before looking but most are ok.

hackbike 6

Im afraid you have to make allowances for peds as BM says and I agree.I find them bloody annoying at times but however much you shout at them there is still 50 million peds left to educate.

OP
OP
AdamBlade

AdamBlade

Was just starting to slow as I was due to turn shortly after. Good job it wasn't 20 yards before as I was doing about 20-25 mph and probably wouldn't have stopped!!

dondare

Über Member
AdamBlade said:
Nearly wiped out a ped who wasn't looking. I was on a cycle lane going against the traffic on a one-way road. Ped looked left but not right and stepped right in front of me!! Breaked heavy and shouted then realised he had headphones on and couldn't here a thing!! Totally oblivious.

This is the first incident in nearly 1000 miles commuting to work. Was beginning to think I was lucky compared to others who have posted on here.

Best not shout. It'll be held against you in court if you do hit one.
Pedestrians don't look out for cyclists, that is why we have to look out for them.

OP
OP
AdamBlade

AdamBlade

I shouted after I had stopped about 6 inches from him. I still don't think he even knew I was there.

Anyway, like I said, first incident so not that concerned really. Won't put me off cycling.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I hope the cycle lane wasn't 'part of the road' - i.e. painted..... as it's a bit naughty going the wrong way up a one way, unless, I suppose, it's one that is seperate.

User said:
Good thing you didn't hit him. You could have ended up in court facing a 'dangerous cycling' charge and £2,000+ fine.

How. when did that law come in?

OP
OP
AdamBlade

AdamBlade

Yes. It's a road that goes through the centre of the city but is all one-way. The cycle lane joins from another road and goes against the flow of traffic. The cycle lane is quite wide so never really a problem. Mainly buses comin the other way and nothing else can get passed them anyway.

jonesy

Guru
AdamBlade said:
Yes. It's a road that goes through the centre of the city but is all one-way. The cycle lane joins from another road and goes against the flow of traffic. The cycle lane is quite wide so never really a problem. Mainly buses comin the other way and nothing else can get passed them anyway.

Official cycle contra-flow it may be, but it does mean pedestrians will be less likely to be looking for something coming the other way. It isn't necessarily going to be obvious to someone on the pavement that there is a contra-flow, or to interpret the lane position and any visible signs correctly. Pedestrians stepping out is something all drivers and cyclists should be on the look-out for, and even more so where there is a risk of confusion.

Top Bottom