Pedal advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
Hi,

I just started using a road bike for the 1st time, so far all fine but the pedals...

The problem I have with the pedals if that thay are toe clip variety, and getting my feet into them is a pain (I have big feet!) - I have removed the the actual toe clips, but the pedals themselfs are not symmetrical, so they feel wierd when they are upside down... so Im looking to replacment with something less fussy..

Iv looked online, and theres plenty of flat pedals (and I may not be looking in the right place) but they all seem to be quite large and heavy. Do simple/light flat pedals designed for roadbikes exist?

battered

Guru
Flats are not much in vogue for roadies. However MTB pedals fit. Here are some: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...F986843C99D61EE96E21D7F6&first=31&FORM=IDFRIR I bought a pair of these I cannot remember how long ago. Since then I have beaten the living daylights out of them, on and off road, thousands of miles without so much as a bearing rebuild. You should be able to get them in any bike shop, or something very similar. I like these because they have a grease cap, which allows you to unscrew it, fill it with grease and repolace it every few months. This forces clean grease through the pedal and shoves the grit and grime out. They have lasted for ever, to be fair they are now getting a bit wobbly but after 15000miiles I'm relaxed.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Have a look at the front of the pedals you have. In many cases the plastic toe clips either pull out or are screwed on so removing them means you have flat pedals without any further expense :smile:

lesley_x

Über Member
I'm using flat mtb pedals on my road bike after learning the hard way that clipless is not for me and they've been fantastic. Very grippy. They're made by MVS and cost £20

Top Bottom