Pedal 'clicking'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jhob

The right pedal on my commuting road bike developed a click last Friday in heavy rain on my way back from work. It's still there when I took the bike in today.

Basically when the right crank arm is at the top of its rotation and pressure is applied to the pedal there's a sort of click that I can hear and feel through my foot. If there's not much pressure applied to the pedals then the click isn't apparent, it only becomes so when pedalling harder.

Any idea what this might be? I'm thinking that it might just be easier to replace the pedals and I was thinking of getting some of these, are they any good?

Many thanks

Mr Pig

Pedal loose.
Chainrings loose.
Bottom Bracket loose.

It'll be one of those :0)

OP
OP
J

jhob

So would I check them by just giving them a bit of a wiggle? I'm guessing that there shouldn't be any play there whatsoever?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
D'you have a mate who cycles? If so, swap pedals and see if the noise stops. (They're easy to change - just remember that 'Right is right, left is wrong'. Which is to say, the righthand pedals unscrews the way you'd expect; the left one unscrews 'the wrong way' - by screwing clockwise).

If you don't get clicking with his pedals, that means it was yours. And if that's the case, do yourself a favour, pay just a few quid more and get these. Everyone says they're far & away the best/best VFM - and everyone's right.

OP
OP
J

jhob

I think I will check to see that everything is tight first and if that doesn't work then I might try one of my wife's pedals and see if it stops it.

I don't use clip pedals so I'd be looking for something to use with a toe cage, preferably lightweight and low-profile - that's why those ebay ones looked good.

OP
OP
J

jhob

Jonathan M said:
Swap bikes with someone, if you still click then it is one of your joints & not the bike!!:laugh:

ha! Yes, my joints already do a lot of that, age catching up with me!

Mr Pig

You have to remove the cranks to check the bottom bracket so you need tools for that. The correct crank extractor and bottom bracket tool.

Try Power Grips. Like toe clips they let you ride with any shoes on but they're more secure.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
jhob said:
I think I will check to see that everything is tight first and if that doesn't work then I might try one of my wife's pedals and see if it stops it.

I don't use clip pedals so I'd be looking for something to use with a toe cage, preferably lightweight and low-profile - that's why those ebay ones looked good.

Ah, fair dos. Well, if that's so, they look ok. You could save a few quid by getting 'em here (cheaper, + free p&p).

gbb

Legendary Member
Before delving too deep, check the simple stuff. Make sure the end of your front mech cable isnt striking the cranks.

Jonathan M

Mr Pig said:
You have to remove the cranks to check the bottom bracket so you need tools for that. The correct crank extractor and bottom bracket tool.

Try Power Grips. Like toe clips they let you ride with any shoes on but they're more secure.

If there is play in the BB then hold the cranks horizontal, and try to push & pull the ends of the cranks away from the frame. If there is play (assuming cranks are on tight) then thats the time to look at BB replacement.

Twanger

Über Member
Forgive a potentially silly suggestion...but could it be something as simple as a chain in need of lube? I mean, thinking about the heavy rain. It happened to me once, but oiling the chain solved it

Top Bottom