Pedal noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark_J

Über Member
My left pedal has started making a dull clicking noise when riding. I took the pedal off to see if I could dismantle it but beyond the screw thread is just the knurled wheel where the flats are to remove it from the crank. I gather a special tool is needed to remove this but to be honest I can't quite see how this works! Are some pedals maintenance free? Would it be better to just buy a new set? Any advice would be gratefully received - it sounds as though a bearing assembly has broken.

BTW my ride is a Ridgeback Element which I use for the commute to work.

Left pedals usually wear out first - check for play in the pedal axle by giving it a firm shake whilst holding the crank steady.If there is then the pedal is a binner.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
A dull click on each crank revolution could simply be the pedal working slightly loose - does it still click off the bike?

gavintc

Guru
I must be extra-ordinarily hard on pedals as I seem to wear them out after about 18 months - 2 years. I have tried servicing them, bought the tool, but got nowhere. I have found oil works, but once the noise starts, it will return - sometimes quite quickly. There are only so many miles you can ride with a squeaky / noisy pedal.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
just to further muck the water, i was convinced i had a dodgy pedal (drive side) which turned out to be cured by stripping and cleaning the whole drive chain. so nothing to do with the pedal at all.

i'm told that look pedals have a little bit of play in them, so don't chuck it out if you have those…

OP
OP
M

Mark_J

Über Member
It's definately the pedal, and the piece between the thread and the pedal body is knurled and circular so I can't see how I would get a special tool on it. Perhaps the pedal is designed to be non-servicable.
The clicking noise is irritating - I have walked to work today (3 miles!) and will probably buy a replacement set this weekend if I can't repair it by then.

nigelb

I ignored a small intermittent clicking on a pedal (drive side), after a couple of weeks the pedal came off, leaving me with just the shaft.

I was on the way to work, but managed to limp to the bike shop (sort of on the way), buy a new pair and they fitted them for me on the spot.

Taught me a lesson, I'll not ignore clicking from a pedal again!

Nige

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If it's a Shimano pedal there's a tool that engages with the knurled bit to remove it and the entire spindle/bearing assembly. It can be adjusted and greased before replacement. I drill a tiny hole in the outside end of my pedals and use a needle grease gun to keep them turning. Seems to work as the oldest are nearly twenty yrs old.

If you don't want to shell out on a tool and the pedal is going to be binned ,stick the knurled bit in a vice really firmly or grip it with a pair of pliers and turn the pedal to unscrew it.

Top Bottom