Pedal systems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stul

Veteran
Hi all,

I have purchased a 2nd hand bike that includes "Look Keo Classic" pedals which I believe take a "3" screw fixing. I also have been bought as a present some shoes, but these only have a "2" screw fitting.

Is it best to replace the pedals or the shoes! As yet I have not purchased any cleats to suit either.

What would be the recommended system..any response welcome..

Many thanks

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
It depends what you want out of the system. The two hole shoes tend to take recessed cleats which allow you, to walk easily relatively speaking whereas the three hole keo type cleat systems are larger and stand proud of the sole of the shoe making walking harder. However the keo type shoes tend to be stiffer soled allowing better power transfer. So you trade performance for practicality a little.

It depends what you want out of the system. The two hole shoes tend to take recessed cleats which allow you, to walk easily relatively speaking whereas the three hole keo type cleat systems are larger and stand proud of the sole of the shoe making walking harder. However the keo type shoes tend to be stiffer soled allowing better power transfer. So you trade performance for practicality a little.

+1

Also, it is only really at the top end for pedals to cost more than shoes....so choose wisely.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I'm due another pair of shoes soon, and I'm thinking of changing from SPD to the Look style for my road bike.

I've got a spare pair of Shimano 520 spd pedals sitting in the shed. They're not new but they're in good nick.
I'll swap them for your Keo's if you want.

Top Bottom