Pedal wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I was investigating a clicking sound today which turned out to be a stone trapped in my shoe between the cleat and outside edge, but noticed this wear on both pedals.
6A6FE2D5-E41D-4493-8261-B62396FC729C.jpeg

Hopefully you can see in the photos, but the front as ridden (left in the photo above) is wearing on both sides. These pedals are double sided, and it’s happening on both sides of each pedal.

Now, I assume this is normal and why the pedals are adjustable? At this point I assume I should just tighten the pedals up so the cleats are tight again? This seems like quite a bit of wear for a set of pedals that are only a couple of years old - how much is too much? Just when the pedal doesn’t hold the cleat in anymore??

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Can't say I have noticed this on my SPD pedals and I do have a couple of pairs of the M520s as well as some of the XT version. I assume you are referring to the little notches being cut into the fixed clip?
What cleats are you using, standard genuine Shimano SH51 cleats?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I assume you are referring to the two areas where the black paint has worn away?
This wear is completely normal, mine are exactly the same. The pedals will last many more years so don’t worry about it.
Wear is always more visible on the black SPD’s, not as much on the silver unpainted model.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BurningLegs

BurningLegs

Veteran
I assume you are referring to the little notches being cut into the fixed clip?
What cleats are you using, standard genuine Shimano SH51 cleats?
Yes - not concerned about the paint rubbing off, but surprised at the notches. They’re quite profound!

I’m using genuine cleats, and no sign of wear on them. They’re the multi-release ones.

If you use the same pedal/cleat combo then perhaps this indicates something wrong with my setup. Maybe cleats in the wrong position or incorrect tightness on the pedals? I have the pedals set pretty loose...

Drago

Legendary Member
I wouldn't sweat it. 520s are robust beyond all logic. In 18 years I've only had one pair get a bit sloppy, and a strip, clean, relube and reassemble cured that. When the bomb drops the safest place is under a pile of 520s.

si_c

Guru
SPD cleats last a long time even if doing significant mileage. A greater problem is getting them off your shoes as they fall apart - I've got two sets of cleats which are attached to shoes that I can't get off as the bolts have ground down and I can't turn an allen bolt in them.

Not worn out a pair of pedals yet either.

Top Bottom