Pedals and shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woolley

Regular
Hi

I am looking to go clipless on my giant hybrid bike but as a beginner I am unsure of what pedals and shoes to go for so I am looking for some advice.

I only ride 2 maybe 3 times a week in the summer so don't want to be spending a lot of money.

I would appreciate any advice people have on what make and models to look at for both pedals and shoes.

Thanks

Big Nick

If you need to walk when out on your bike go spd if you don't go spd-sl

Shimano do plenty of fairly inexpensive pedals and shoes and you could get kitted out for around £80

maltloaf

Walking ability in spd vs spd sl is entirely down to what shoe they are used on.

I can walk fine in my touring shoes which have spd but the same cleats on my road shoes are nigh on impossible to walk in. I find the sl cleats much easier to walk in on those as it's a wider and more stable platform

As for price, m520 pedals can be had for around £19 and the highly underrated mt23 touring shoes are £38. I did 1500 miles with this combination last summer and it was great

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If walking is important try to get some with recessed cleats. I have some Shimano MTB shoes which are fine for walking. Shimamo M530 pedals are good as they are dual purpose having a flat side. I find the bearings on cheaper Shimano pedals are not so good. More expensive shoes have carbon rather than plastic soles for stiffness.

Whiz

I've bought m520 for my bike when it arrives and I wanted Tour shoes for my commute - Evans have 2013 range in sale so I got Specialized Elite for £68. Very comfortable (in the house yesterday haha) so can't wait to ride with them :-)

I would appreciate any advice people have on what make and models to look at for both pedals and shoes.
All following references are to SPD pedals and shoes, other retention systems are available though, however, when going clipless IME most people tend to start off with Shimano SPD pedals.

Some people prefer a double sided pedal like THIS so they can just jump on the bike if the need arises without having to don their cycling shoes.

Other prefer a dedicated pedal like THIS, although they do require use of dedicated shoes for all riding.

SPD shoes vary from a casual style like THIS, to BOOTS, MTB, and even SANDALS!

@Cycleops makes a valid point about sizing. IME I've always had to go up one size regardless of make of shoe. Your best bet is to support your LBS as then you can try them on in store, but if you want to order online then places like Wiggle and CRC usually offer free returns as well, so order two sizes and send one back.

Good luck, once you've gone clipless you'll not go back :thumbsup:

BrynCP

Über Member
Some people prefer a double sided pedal like THIS so they can just jump on the bike if the need arises without having to don their cycling shoes.

Do you have any experience of this type? They look like they'd be much heavier on the clip side, so would naturally end up that side down once unclipped making it more difficult to clip back in?

Like the OP I am considering clipless on my giant hybrid. I have the basic pedals that came with my Giant Hybrid and I often find my feet slipping off, the last time I hit the back of my ankle with the pedal and it's still bruised now!

Do you have any experience of this type?
I don't sorry.I only used SPD's when I used to ride MTB's, and then I used THESE ones.

Great eat advice from @maltloaf on a limited budget and as your use will be minimal.

When you buy your ideals, make sure they come with the clears as a lot of sellers are pack splitting to increase their profit.
Also check the classifieds on this forum.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Do you have any experience of this type? They look like they'd be much heavier on the clip side, so would naturally end up that side down once unclipped making it more difficult to clip back in?

Like the OP I am considering clipless on my giant hybrid. I have the basic pedals that came with my Giant Hybrid and I often find my feet slipping off, the last time I hit the back of my ankle with the pedal and it's still bruised now!

I have some of these. In practice the uneven look of them makes no difference. Reasonable budget pedal IMO.

BrynCP

Über Member
I have some of these. In practice the uneven look of them makes no difference. Reasonable budget pedal IMO.
Thanks. I am wondering whether to get these or the M520.

During the week I do 10 mile rides (for now while it's dark on the evening) and on the weekend I do 25-35 mile rides. I don't do trips to shops etc. on my bike. I am wondering if I would just be best with SPD only, i.e. the M520, or whether the 10 mile rides, which are through the city, it's not worth the hassle of having to clip/unclip at all the lights/junctions.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You will find it difficult clipping in and unclipping and there may well be one or more times when you just fall over sideways! Only you know if it's worth. I forgot to mention that the bearings are so poor on the M530's that they don't rotate under their own weight!

BrynCP

Über Member
Just thought I would update on what I did after this thread pushed me along!

I bought some Shimano A530 pedals from Amazon (£28 delivered) and some Shiman M064 shoes from ChainReactionCycles (£42 delivered - 70p topcashback).

The pedals came mid week and I fitted easily and used the standard flat side. They gripped fine with my normal, cheap trainers which have little tread. The only negative was sometimes I ended up riding off with the clip side up on my non dominant foot, but I think this is more to do with my technique then the pedals, as said above they tend to stay where you left them.

My shoes came today and I fitted them together and practised just up against a wall - have to say while this helped get the unclipping it's unrealistic for clipping in. I set the tension to the minimum. I then just went for it on some quiet roads which turned into a 28 mile ride, with just one near fall: I clipped in my right foot then leaned to the right for some reason, but managed to unclip in time.!

From that one ride I am happy with my choice.

Top Bottom