Pedals not turning wheel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

Gunk is indeed a likely culprit. Interestingly (FSVO interstingly), there is a product called Gunk which is a degreaser, but it's probably a bit over the top for this. Try spraying some WD40 (about the only time I'd use WD40 on my bike) into the free hub to help loosen up the grease in there.

annirak

Veteran
WD40 is a water displacer. If you're not trying to displace water, it's probably the wrong answer. If you want to remove grease, you probably want a degreaser. If you want to lubricate something, you probably want a penetrating lubricant.

WD40 might work, but it's usually not the best option.

Hmm really? Thanks guys, very interesting!!

After some thought. reckon I might as well drop in shop anyway - firstly because I dont know what I'm doing and I dont have all the tools and it would invariably take me ages;
and then because I like to give people work - sort of crazy guy i am ya know!

I had planned on doing about 30 but had only got 14 when the problem occurred. Was ablr to free wheel another mile but then had to phone my wife to come and fetch me.
At least it was sunny and I could catch a few rays while waiting.
I'd be waiting a long time for my wife to fetch me..... Driving Lessons, then theory test, then actual test.... at least a year ..... and it wouldn't be much quicker to get my mum to pick me up by the time I'd explained where I was

haha - my wife is not too bad - it takes a little bit of persuading to get her to pick me up ( usually because she's hoovering - constantly! she loves it) , but over all, she gives in.

You'd have to ask @colly that!

It was quite comical watching him launch into a steep little climb only for his legs to spin round and the bike to come to a dead stop! I assumed that it was a problem with the pawls, but then we found that it was only one sprocket that did it. (It wasn't riveted to the rest of the cassette.)

Just use that gear as neutral.

ayceejay

Guru
I was out riding this morning and while going up a hill I suddenly noticed that pedals weren't turning the back wheel. At first I thought the chain had come off but it hadn't.

The pedals go round and round but the back wheel doesn't.

Any ideas?
This is a feeling I get most days and I am not sure (wish) there is a cure for it, I think I might try a pair of those long black socks - the friggin' expensive wheels didn't work.

Top Bottom