Pedals off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
No harm to the bike, just the OCD to get under control. Rich has, apart from the twitch. With you on the touring bit though, not sure I want clips for touring, lujckily I've solved that by not doing a tour since I fitted them.

And we just give him beer for that.

That's one way of doing it! I stuck with the SLs for the tourer in the end. Probably cos it's not really a tourer but a road bike with a rack on it. But it makes it a bad choice for the pub. All this pedal faff has led me to the conclusion (funnily enough) that I need another bike - a pub bike with flats or double-sideds. But I haven't yet voiced this conclusion at home...

Tenorman

I do that all the time too. No problems yet but it would be nice if there was something easy to clip on to make flats. I did have some plastic plates that came with one bike, that did work for a while but the 'cleat' wore out after a couple of goes.

I bought a pair of these http://www.decathlon...pedals-3883519/# ages ago, and really didn't expect them to last - but they have and have been great. Getting used to flipping them over to clip-in has become second nature, and when I'm just popping to the station to get the train to work and don't want to use SPD shoes then the flat side is fine. I think I recall seeing something remarkably similar, but without the B-Twin brand on through the CTC shop (Wiggle).

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I bought a pair of these http://www.decathlon...pedals-3883519/# ages ago, and really didn't expect them to last - but they have and have been great. Getting used to flipping them over to clip-in has become second nature, and when I'm just popping to the station to get the train to work and don't want to use SPD shoes then the flat side is fine. I think I recall seeing something remarkably similar, but without the B-Twin brand on through the CTC shop (Wiggle).

That's not a bad idea. I tour in SPDs so, apart from the aesthetics, it might be useful. Does the flat bit of the pedal also give a little extra support when clipped in I wonder?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
That's not a bad idea. I tour in SPDs so, apart from the aesthetics, it might be useful. Does the flat bit of the pedal also give a little extra support when clipped in I wonder?

Rich I think I've still got some M324s somewhere, having decided I can't use them on the tourer. If you'd like to give them a go I'll find them and bung them your way...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Rich I think I've still got some M324s somewhere, having decided I can't use them on the tourer. If you'd like to give them a go I'll find them and bung them your way...

Done!

Doesn't touring in SLs mean that you need an extra pair of shoes?

Although at least you'd have some shiny ones with you for the clubbing :biggrin:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Done!

Doesn't touring in SLs mean that you need an extra pair of shoes?

Although at least you'd have some shiny ones with you for the clubbing :biggrin:

Oi! Watch it - you don't want to believe everything Ian tells you.

Yes it does, unless you don't mind hobbling everywhere and looking a bit of a tit. But there's too much overlap with SPD shoes on this bike.

PM me your address, then, and don't get too excited until I've had a look in the shed and checked that they still exist...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Oi! Watch it - you don't want to believe everything Ian tells you.

Yes it does, unless you don't mind hobbling everywhere and looking a bit of a tit. But there's too much overlap with SPD shoes on this bike.

PM me your address, then, and don't get too excited until I've had a look in the shed and checked that they still exist...

I shall be in Sloane Square at 11pm on the night of the 3rd wearing a red carnation and thereafter in Swansea on the 12th/13th possibly viewing the end of stage 3 of the T of Britain and possibly having lunch somewhere...

...or you can post them!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I shall be in Sloane Square at 11pm on the night of the 3rd wearing a red carnation and thereafter in Swansea on the 12th/13th possibly viewing the end of stage 3 of the T of Britain and possibly having lunch somewhere...

...or you can post them!

If you think I'm carrying them to Brighton...

Right - I'll have a look for 'em tonight, and either find you at the ToB or stick em in the post...

And we just give him beer for that.

That's one way of doing it! I stuck with the SLs for the tourer in the end. Probably cos it's not really a tourer but a road bike with a rack on it. But it makes it a bad choice for the pub. All this pedal faff has led me to the conclusion (funnily enough) that I need another bike - a pub bike with flats or double-sideds. But I haven't yet voiced this conclusion at home...

I do hope there's someone there to voice it too and it doesn't just float around in your head and then become verbalised and argumentative over the breadboard whilst chopping the Garlic.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I do hope there's someone there to voice it too and it doesn't just float around in your head and then become verbalised and argumentative over the breadboard whilst chopping the Garlic.

I have been known to talk to myself, but that isn't really a problem as I'm remarkably relaxed about having bikes in the hallway, kitchen, and even bedrooms. I was home alone for a month recently, and the bikes gradually made themselves a lot more comfortable, propping themselves insouciantly against all manner of furnishings and appliances. Some people, unfortunately, regard these tendencies as louche...

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
As someone who once shared a studio flat with 3-and-a-half bikes, it sounds positively restrained to me.
The other three bikes had to live outside, though. There were limits...

Top Bottom