Pedals???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

k8srd

Hi all

I have been commuting for around 6 months now around 8miles a day. I bought a boardman comp through me CTW scheme which came with just normal pedals.

I was considering switching to SPD pedals rather than the standard?

Unsure as to the advantages and what type of specailist shoes you need etc, any info is much appreciated.

Many thanks

Scott

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The standard SPDs are sometimes described as MTB pedals or MTB this that or the other as opposed to SPD-Ls which are different and more kind of road/touring and then the many other types. Many shoes take multiple types of cleat, don't stress too much, just calmly double check.

The major benefit of spds over flat pedals is efficiency.

Spd mtb shoes are all basically similar but you can go for ones that are more orientated to walking (like my tahos) or stiffer soled and more suited to the bike (like my bg mtb sports).

There's also another set of pedals again, spd-sl, looks, etc (road bike pedals) these are even more efficient for pedalling but terrible for walking.

If you are stopping and starting then the constant uncliping and re-clipping may be a pain especially if you have to get away smartish in traffic and over 8 miles the benefits will be minimal.

The real advantage is that they allow you to bring more muscles into play by allowing you to pull back or up on the pedals - but this needs quite a bit of practice.

accountantpete said:
If you are stopping and starting then the constant uncliping and re-clipping may be a pain especially if you have to get away smartish in traffic and over 8 miles the benefits will be minimal.
I find for me they are a benefit at traffic lights. I keep my strong foot (my right) clipped in and can always pull the pedal to 2 o'clock'ish and pull away smarter than traffic.

djondjayvadas

Are clip pedals suitable for a reasonably traffic free 16.5 mile commute? I'm quite interested in giving them a go as there's a few hills I'd like to get a bit more muscle action on!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
djondjayvadas said:
Are clip pedals suitable for a reasonably traffic free 16.5 mile commute? I'm quite interested in giving them a go as there's a few hills I'd like to get a bit more muscle action on!

I would say so, yes.

PpPete

Legendary Member
djondjayvadas said:

Definitely.
Even in traffic I find double-sided SPDs far less of a faff than old fashioned toe clips/straps - and I used those for nigh on 30 years.

You might want to consider pedals with the spd mechanism on one side and a standard pedal on the other. Gives you time to switch between the 2 until you get you confidence up or indeed ride your bike whatever shoes you happen to have handy.

As for shoes - go for a shoe you can walk in (ie; with a recessed spd mechanism). You can find both this type of pedal and shoes on all the major cycle suppliers' web-sites.

stewlewis

SPD are definitely the way to go. I did my knee in on a rcent ride and did 10 miles retrun trip with only one leg, clipped in allowed me to do full circles pulling up as well as pushing down.

I have Shimano pedals.
M520, SPD only, inexpensive. Clip in and out very easily.
M324, SPD one side, flat the other. Sometimes I miss the clipped side with the cleat but it recesses in the other side fine until I get it flipped over. Can wear any shoes with the flat side.
M434, like M520 qith a cage. My fave off road pedals. Clipped or unclipped. And the pedal rotates flat for wearing normal shoes too.

You'll need MTB shoes, SPD. Not road clipless shoes with SPD-R or Look cleats. Road shoes are rigid soles with no grip, you won't walk in 'em.

You'll never go back from SPD/clipless cyclling.

rsvdaz

yep..another recent convert here...got into clipping in and out really easy

I got the Lidl shoes and M520's on the road bike and A530's for the MTB again the reason being is they have clips and non clip sides and the MTB is the bike of choice for just jumping on to the shops etc and wanted the flexibility of using any shoe

Top Bottom