Pedersen Replica

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KoffMixtures

As is my want, I've decided a Replica Dursley Pedrsen in wood is not beyond me.
What I would find useful would be measurements of the frame members lengths, so I can produce drawings.
Pedersen built at least one wooden prototype; poor online photographs of the machine in the Copenhagen Museum can be found online.
In April this year a blue wooden replica appeared at a gathering in Dursley....so it can be done.
I need pictures.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Could you scale up from this drawing?

7887F91A-11D1-444E-941A-548F6519CF0E.jpeg

V-CC

We would applaud you and support you in taking on such a project. So far as can be seen we do not have dimensions to hand. You may need to visit or contact the Copenhagen museum. We do have a Pedersen Study Guide and a page extract is provided along with an image of the wooden prototype. We organise a Pedersen Pilgrimage and have much to offer in support so do contact us libraryvcc@gmail.com

Attachments

• Pedersen wooden prototype.png
    Pedersen wooden prototype.png
    149 KB · Views: 2
  • Pedersen study guide extract.png
    Pedersen study guide extract.png
    301.9 KB · Views: 1
OP
OP
K

KoffMixtures

We would applaud you and support you in taking on such a project. So far as can be seen we do not have dimensions to hand. You may need to visit or contact the Copenhagen museum. We do have a Pedersen Study Guide and a page extract is provided along with an image of the wooden prototype. We organise a Pedersen Pilgrimage and have much to offer in support so do contact us libraryvcc@gmail.com

Thank you for your help, I have emailed the museum with a brief outline of my wishes and intentions.
Hopefully this will create a wider dialogue.
Should this project proceed I'd be delighted to present a build log for this forum.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
A journey I wouldn't wish to share with you, either.

I think @Moon bunny was making a joke!
Bike made out of wood ... Build log😂

I’m pretty sure I can speak for most of us on here, we’d love to see your progress should you decide to build one👍

OP
OP
K

KoffMixtures

Thank you, that is very useful. It's an image with which I'm familiar, but this is the first version I've been able to read the labels.

The image above doesn't actually project onto paper based on the dimensions and angles on it.
It's like a sketch in a notebook, not in any way an attempt at a scale drawing.

I'm a paper and pencil guy and tried it.
I have hundreds of 'library' photo's of real original steel versions, so decided to attempt a drawing based on them.
I do appreciate photo's aren't ideal due to distortions.
One can, however, get a close 'working' approximation.

What surprised me is no two examples are alike!
Of course the Pedersen was a bespoke machine, so may-be that answers that mystery.

So I've endeavored to create a drawing that is close to what the real thing appears to be.

The nearest antiquated bike I have in mind is a Raleigh 'Superbe' which can be traced back over a hundred years without radical geometry changes; from this I've adopted 26'' wheels and readily available Sturmey Archer AW 3 speed hub/chain set. Everything will hopefully fall into place around these.

Lots of detail features need to be thought through and decided upon, but I'm happy to have got as far as a convincing basic layout.

Here's something that recently surfaced online, which intrigues. No other info, yet it shows what is possible! I'd love to hear from the gentleman who built it.
402199536.gallery.jpg

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The wooden one would appear to be significantly different in basic design. The seat-tube (as it were) isn't free to move as on the steel one. There's that additional, horizontal brace but no vertical cables tensioning the saddle. So I would expect it to ride very differently to the steel one.

OP
OP
K

KoffMixtures

The wooden one would appear to be significantly different in basic design. The seat-tube (as it were) isn't free to move as on the steel one. There's that additional, horizontal brace but no vertical cables tensioning the saddle. So I would expect it to ride very differently to the steel one.
I agree, Ian.

At this stage any variable is a possibility. It isn't my intention to make a faithful replica of either, but something to satisfy my own amusement/curiosity, built on a budget.
Never-the less, should it happen, will be from the same gene pool.

A pal, who now lives in France has an original steel model.
To buy one is beyond my means.
A wooden version is more than just a possibility and would be unique stand alone 'vanity' project.

Mr Pedersen always regarded his 'hammock' seat as his achievement, the cycle was basically a platform for it, hence the unusual layout.

Last edited:
Top Bottom