Peel Sessions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Excellent! I had forgotten about Brand X, one of my favourite albums as a kid was Morrocan Roll.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Wow. I went straight to the Bhundu Boys from Zim, who Peel promoted. The sound quality is excellent.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Been slowly working my way through these. Some absolute gems there.
Yes - I have been picking sessions at random and running them in another window while I work/play.

It has given me flashbacks to being a student in Manchester/Salford in the mid-1980s. When I moved there I got myself a nice flat above a newsagent on Chapel Street. My TV developed a fault in the first week I was there. I repaired it but then it burned out the motherboard about a month later so I decided to forget about watching TV altogether. I went out and bought myself a decent hifi system and listened to music every night while I studied. Weekday evenings David Jensen had a R1 show followed by 2 hours of John Peel. I don't think I missed an evening in nearly 3 years.

I could pretty much guarantee that on every Peel show there would be something that I had never heard before - and never wanted to hear again! :laugh: BUT... there would also be something amazing that I would never have got to hear otherwise.

brodiej

Veteran
Yes - I have been picking sessions at random and running them in another window while I work/play.

It has given me flashbacks to being a student in Manchester/Salford in the mid-1980s. When I moved there I got myself a nice flat above a newsagent on Chapel Street. My TV developed a fault in the first week I was there. I repaired it but then it burned out the motherboard about a month later so I decided to forget about watching TV altogether. I went out and bought myself a decent hifi system and listened to music every night while I studied. Weekday evenings David Jensen had a R1 show followed by 2 hours of John Peel. I don't think I missed an evening in nearly 3 years.

I could pretty much guarantee that on every Peel show there would be something that I had never heard before - and never wanted to hear again! :laugh: BUT... there would also be something amazing that I would never have got to hear otherwise.

Sounds similar to me. I was a student in the mid to late 80s

I used to tape John Peel shows sometimes, especially the festive 50s. I listened to the tapes so much that JP’s ramblings between songs became as familiar as the songs themselves.

Even now there are some songs I can’t listen to without expecting John Peel to say something when it finishes

Top Bottom