Perineum chafing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manick0de

Hi, I've returned to cycling after a two year hiatus and pieced together a bike of ebay and old bits. (my bikes got nicked a while back).

I'm using the same saddle model as I previously used.

I've been back on the bike for two weeks and I'm expierencing perineum chafing, I understand perineum numbness is a common problem but this is a different thing altogether. After 40-50 min my perenium feels like It's being dragged back and forth over sand paper. I've tried three different shorts and four different saddles.

I'm thinking of booking a bike fit but not sure if it will help?

Has anybody ever had a simmilar complaint?

Thanks.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Welcome to CC, manick0de!

Lots of people have had a similar problem, myself included! :blush:

Good shorts do help - I have some that are only comfortable for a maximum of about an hour, but my favourite pair (Northwave) are much better.

The right saddle definitely helps. I went through about 5 different types before settling on Fizik Ariones for my road bikes. They are fairly wide at the back and that suits my sit bones. If I use narrower saddles, they get up between the bones and put pressure where I don't want it.

NB I can only get comfortable if the Arione is at a particular angle. If I have it set so a straight edge from front to back is level, I get numb genitals. If I tilt it too far forward, I get that perineum problem as I slide forward on the saddle. There is a 'sweet spot' in between where the front part of the saddle is level but the wide rear part of the saddle is slightly higher. That seems to keep the pressure of my delicate bits.

I'd suggest using the saddle and shorts combination that you were most comfortable with and experiment with subtle adjustments of the saddle angle and setback. I found a degree or two of forward tilt was enough to take the pressure off, without me feeling as though I was sliding forward all the time.

Hi manick0de, I second everything ColinJ says about saddle adjustment. It's very good, detailed advice. There can't be too much wrong wth the saddle itself as you say it is the one you used before your break - but getting it "just right" on the new bike might take a little experimenting. I have been getting used to a new Brooks this year and have finally got the tilt angle comfortable for me.

One thing you could try is a chamois cream or butter. The camp is divided over it on here with some lucky enough not to need it but for those who suffer from chafing, and I include myself, it can make a big difference. I have found Assos chamois cream to be a highly effective and durable lubricant for those delicate areas. It's not cheap but it's brought more comfort to my ride and that's worth it for me!

Just a thought, but have you got your saddle at the right height? If you have it too high then you will end up rocking from side to side and that won't help your sore bits.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
What's your pedalling technique like? Perhaps get someone to ride alongside and observe. It's easy to get into bad habits unawares, particularly if you're using bigger gears.

A rider I know slightly always suffers from saddle soreness. Watching him ride, he saws his backside fore and aft with every pedal stroke. It's uncomfortable just watching.

jay clock

Massive member
I get it the second or third day of touring. Much of it is about moving forwards and backwards, and if the shorts don't move then you get rubbing.

Agreed about saddle position. ALso make sure your shorts are not too loose round the barse area

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
jay clock said:
I get it the second or third day of touring. Much of it is about moving forwards and backwards, and if the shorts don't move then you get rubbing...

Chamois cream can help by sticking shorts to ar$e.

OP
OP
M

manick0de

Hi guys, thanks for all the advice. First of all I don't wear undies with my bibs. I only used chamois cream on longer rides, however I've bought some on my lunch break(udderly smooth) and will use it on the way home tonight. On the way in I tilted the saddle nose down very very slightly and I think it helped slightly? I'll have to wait and see. I've booked a bike fit but think I'll cancel and experiment more.

Thanks all.

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
manick0de said:
Hi, I've returned to cycling after a two year hiatus and pieced together a bike of ebay and old bits. (my bikes got nicked a while back).

I'm using the same saddle model as I previously used.

I've been back on the bike for two weeks and I'm expierencing perineum chafing, I understand perineum numbness is a common problem but this is a different thing altogether. After 40-50 min my perenium feels like It's being dragged back and forth over sand paper. I've tried three different shorts and four different saddles.

I'm thinking of booking a bike fit but not sure if it will help?

Has anybody ever had a simmilar complaint?

Thanks.

Try getting you partner to massage aforementioned area.

Top Bottom