Persistent lower back pain, need help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

dude7691

Im just starting again to work harder as my ride mates are now dropping me on hills and doing the lions share on the front now , kudos to them but i need to start getting back to my peak of about 3 years ago when i got most of my pbs .Last nigh i did a hill session and my hamstrings were aching at the end .Mind you iam the wrong side of 50 so its getting harder to keep form .
I know you're far more experienced than me, but HIIT has been an absolute godsend in terms of increasing my overall speeds. My local climb is 5% for 0.94 miles with a peak gradient of 14% and when I started I couldn't even get up it in my lowest gear. Now I can average 10mph or so up there, whereas last year I was only doing 7mph up there, huge difference in power output, and I'm lighter than I was last year :biggrin: I do 1-2 HIIT sessions per week. 1 minute intervals with 2 minute rest periods, gets me very tired after not very long but the burn is delicious :biggrin:

And yes, speaking of hills and hamstrings. My average rides round here easily have 1000ft elev gain / 10 miles, sometimes more. That's likely another reason my back is under so much stress, especially as a newer rider. West Wales you cannot go more than a mile in any direction without a steep hill xD

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Im just starting again to work harder as my ride mates are now dropping me on hills and doing the lions share on the front now , kudos to them but i need to start getting back to my peak of about 3 years ago when i got most of my pbs .Last nigh i did a hill session and my hamstrings were aching at the end .Mind you iam the wrong side of 50 so its getting harder to keep form .
I feel your pain brother....

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I know you're far more experienced than me, but HIIT has been an absolute godsend in terms of increasing my overall speeds. My local climb is 5% for 0.94 miles with a peak gradient of 14% and when I started I couldn't even get up it in my lowest gear. Now I can average 10mph or so up there, whereas last year I was only doing 7mph up there, huge difference in power output, and I'm lighter than I was last year :biggrin: I do 1-2 HIIT sessions per week. 1 minute intervals with 2 minute rest periods, gets me very tired after not very long but the burn is delicious :biggrin:

And yes, speaking of hills and hamstrings. My average rides round here easily have 1000ft elev gain / 10 miles, sometimes more. That's likely another reason my back is under so much stress, especially as a newer rider. West Wales you cannot go more than a mile in any direction without a steep hill xD
i cycle commute and do manual shift work , i dont really have time or energy to do more besides that and a weekend ride so i have to try and blast it when i have the energy and im awake enough although after nights it can be hard enough just riding home.

OP
OP
D

dude7691

i cycle commute and do manual shift work , i dont really have time or energy to do more besides that and a weekend ride so i have to try and blast it when i have the energy and im awake enough although after nights it can be hard enough just riding home.
Kudos to you doing a manual job and still cycling, how far is your commute?

Top Bottom