Personal milestone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Completed my first 40m+ ride today, despite a mid way puncture. Rather forunatley, I had booked a couple of days off this week, and lo, the sun did shine. So after checking my much ignored of late, route map, decided on a course as yet not ridden in one go. I had, at some time or another, ridden all the areas of this route but todate, my absolute maximum distance had been 36 miles. Putting this new route together, I estimated close to 50 miles would be the final reading. So, popped a jacket and long trousers in a back pack, along with an extra drinks bottle and set off at 11am in T shirt and shorts. The first part of my ride took me through familiar streets and avenues but within 15 minutes, I was in the countryside, enjoying the bird song and views. After an hour I stopped for a brief rest and drink in a village called Beuamont Cum Moze, you couldnt make up a name like that could you. Anyway, from there I passed through lanes and farmyards and got to Horsley Cross, for another blow. From there I crossed the A120 and headed for Bradfield, an area with some very sharp rises and falls in elevation, but some great views across the Stour Valley, and round in a big loop ending up at the Mistley Towers Country Park right on the bank of the Stour. I needed to 'use thier facilities' so propped my ride against the wall and did what I had to do. As I got back to the road and re-mounted, I immediately noticed that horrible wobble and bumble of a rear flat. As luck would have it there was a gate in the hedge through to a cricket field, and even better, an empty bench to lay out my gear. I unstrapped my Topeak survivalbox and popped the bike upside down. After 20 mins fumbling about, I had the wheel back on and pumped up. I was really pleased with myself as it was the first time I had ever had to use my emergency pack when out and about, and it had done everything needed of it. Anyway, from Mistley I rode away from the Stour and turned into Dead Lane, I always have a little chuckle to myself about that road name. Who in the world ??? Anyway, from there I headed toward Frating and on towards Thorrington. By this time I was begining to feel heavy legged but knowing it was the homeward leg, pressed on. Once across the A120 again I decided to do a small detour and visit an outlet called Beta Aquatics in Elmstead Market. Once there, I used the break to get a bit of life back into my rump, un-knot my thighs and stretch my back. After 15 mins, pocking around thier vats and tanks, I got back in the saddle and headed home. As i got nearer the roads started to get bigger and busier. Finally, 4 hours after setting out I returned to my home. And the big reveal, pressed the scroll button on my computer, and dissapointed to only see 41.2 miles completed, so I turned around and done a circle around the town and came back with a reading of 45 miles. I settled for that, even though I was hoping to make it a fifty . Well, that will have to wait until another day. I am going to try and build up to 100 by the end of the year but today has shown me that, in more ways than one, i've got a long way to go. But for tonight, i'm pleased with todays effort and honestly not feeling sore or stiff at all, I think that will be tommorow morning.

Top Bottom