Petrol fume poisoning?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Hiya,

Just back from feeling crappy.

I have been working on stripping the engine from my project car and splashed a bit of petrol about as I disconnected the pipes. I got a bit on my boots and my jeans.
Anyway, last couple of nights I have been feeling absolutely rotten in bed at night, fuzzy head, tightening of the throat and lips, dehydration that wasn't cured by drinking. Fine during the day but rotten at night.

I finally figured out that I had been leaving the jeans and boots in the room when I got changed and reusing them for the dirty work over a few days. The petrol fumes coming off them was filling the room up from the top down.

I didn't notice when I was just being in the room (it's a bedsit) as I was at sofa level but the bed is up on stilts near the ceiling where the warm fumes seem to be gathering.

Got the boots out and the jeans in the wash and problem solved.

However, I seem to remember that petol fumes are heavier then air so it couldn't have been that!

So now I am confused as to what else it could have been.

lukesdad

Sounds as if it is inhaling petrol fumes. Same sort of symptoms I used to get from racing motorbikes, they used to be refuelled while i was on the bike (enduros) and I used to get a lung full. The fuzzy head is the giveaway I think.Unless you ve got a gas leak.

Mr Pig

Yes. I work in printing where lots of smelly chemicals are used and I know the effects of inhalation, these horrible symptoms very well. Take care, it can be quite serious.

Top Bottom