Peugeot Bretagne

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Very nice, haven't seen a triple on a pug before. Looking at the geometry it seems to be more touring oriented.

OP
OP
M

Markymark13

Yeh the geometry does seem to promote a more relaxed and upright riding position. The 30 tooth ring does look like it is easily attachable or dettachable, so maybe it was an option on models or an extra? I can see other Peugeots from the era with similar specs apart from the tripple. Either that or it has been added later on in the bikes life.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I would think it was probably spec'd as a touring bike as the name 'Bretagne' or 'Brittany' is a favourite area for the French to go holidaying, bit like Cornwall to us Brits.

Teuchter

Über Member
I would think it was probably spec'd as a touring bike
I'd agree with this - canti brakes to allow wider tyres and those triple rings. Has it got separate rack and mudguard eyes?

I've got a Reynolds 501 frame (my fixed gear) and it's a nice ride.

Looks a really nice find.

OP
OP
M

Markymark13

Thanks guys! That makes sense. Yes it has rack and mud guard eyes. Quite fancy doing my lands end to john o groats on it this year. We will see.

I managed to source a malliard helicomatic tool on eBay Germany so stripped both hubs, headset and the freewheel down, cleaned and regreased. All running a lot smoother now. Not managed to get out on it yet with the weather but fingers crossed for next week. Going to start commuting on it.

King commute

Hi. I bought my first classic road bike yesterday, a Peugeot Bretagne. Lovely condition with minimal rusting (two small spots) and all original parts including seat post (apart from Brooks saddle and bar tape which have been added at some point and new schwalbe marathon tyres).

Anyway, I can not find any info on the model and wondered if anyone was knowledgeable on it.

Here is what I know:
Reynolds 501 frame.
Stronglight tripple (52/40/30) upfront.
5 speed (14-28) freewheel on the rear on Malliard hubs.
120mm spacing inbetween dropouts.
Colour is burgundy (almost metallic) with orange and yellow diagonal stripes (one on top tube and one on seat tube).
Chrome fork.
Decal style head badge.
Cantilever brakes.

Will get a picture as soon as I can.

Thanks guys.

I've only just joined this site, hence the late reply. I have one of these that I bought new in about 1990 (old stock), and still have it. I did some browsing and reckoned that the model number may be PXR 80560 (from a 1985 French catalogue put online). I discarded the Helicomatic freewheel a long time ago when worn. I also have a Thorn Sherpa which was meant to replace it, but I was reluctant to sell it as it was such a good fit for me, although I remember I had to find an ultra short stem. I hope you have managed to get some good rides on it.

King commute

Hi. I bought my first classic road bike yesterday, a Peugeot Bretagne. Lovely condition with minimal rusting (two small spots) and all original parts including seat post (apart from Brooks saddle and bar tape which have been added at some point and new schwalbe marathon tyres).

Anyway, I can not find any info on the model and wondered if anyone was knowledgeable on it.

Here is what I know:
Reynolds 501 frame.
Stronglight tripple (52/40/30) upfront.
5 speed (14-28) freewheel on the rear on Malliard hubs.
120mm spacing inbetween dropouts.
Colour is burgundy (almost metallic) with orange and yellow diagonal stripes (one on top tube and one on seat tube).
Chrome fork.
Decal style head badge.
Cantilever brakes.

Will get a picture as soon as I can.

Thanks guys.

Ref. my earlier post, I wrote down that PXR model number some years ago, but can't verify it. I had originally written PGN-10M (see http://cyclespeugeot.com/PDFs/1985French.pdf) which certainly looks like the Bretagne. All useless information! Mine had the white handlebar tape.

Top Bottom