Peugeot Premiere HLE - how not to sell - new arrival for sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This week I won a Peugeot Premiere HLE on eBay for much less than I'd offered the seller off eBay :thumbsup: .

Why? Well he'd not advertised it at all well; nothing in the title apart from 'bicycle', a really bad and partly incorrect description plus this as the only photo:

$_58.JPG

No description of size, incorrect wheel size, etc. But I took a punt, won it, pumped up the tyres and rode it back to my work :becool: . The seller was going to throw it in the skip so he was happy enough - he just wanted to know whether the tyres would pump up when I turned up with a pump. Mind you, he thought I was mad for even trying to ride it :crazy: . Came home yesterday and looked like this, all working except for a snapped front mech cable:

Purchase2_zps9ab22bff.jpg

It is all original, except for two recent tyres which have hardly been used and the pink/white bottle cage :wacko:

It's a 1988 50cm / 19 1/4" model with 12-speed Sachs Huret gears, Maillard hubs and what appears to be the original chain as it's French. And that's well under the .75 mark. The only replacement are two recent Schwalbe Blizzard tyres. The catalogue from 1988 is here - page 12.

24 hours later and it looks like this:

Right_zps49a22f5e.jpg

Rear-mech_zps22733cd4.jpg

HLE_zpse4450e1c.jpg

Crank_zps6f1ba8cc.jpg

Rather than any renovation I've simply cleaned and lubricated it, replaced the front mech cable and the bottle cage. The wheels still have some pitting but they're so much better having used wet aluminium foil on them.

The future? Well, it's too small for me at 50cm so it's gone on eBay this afternoon.

Last edited:

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Well done Mr Lane. I think it looks good as it is and hope you manage to sell it on. I'm making notes so I don't fall into the same trap :-)

Top Bottom