Peugeot tidy-up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stu Plows

Coming soon: Bonking on a hill near you!
Bought this a few months ago on the Bay, haven’t looked at it since I handed the whole £44.69 over for it. Time to change that tonight…

photo.jpg

Any Peugeot experts know what it is?

winjim

Smash the cistern
Try retropeugeot.com for pdfs of old peugeot catalogues.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I'd guess mid 80s by the parts and colour and that I had a similar one around the same time. I'm not any kind of expert though.

Stickers on the frame might help. What's the tubing?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think it may peugeot HLE or carbolite tubing sticker. Nothing special I'm afraid, mid to late eighties maybe. Looks like steel rims so be aware it won't stop in the wet! All the threads and sizes will be peculiar to pugs too. Get rid of the suicide levers and check the seatpost is not seized. Have a look at this Canadian guy's site for info on restoring them. www.mytenspeeds.com Good luck with it.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Stu Plows that looks like my kind of bike a nice mid 80's Pug made with either HLE or Carbolite tubing , should be a whiteish label on or near to bottom bracket shell giving you the model code ie PE 10 .

Teuchter

Über Member
Given the cable routing inside the top tube, lugless (I think they used internal lugs) joins, the Huret shifters and what I suspect will be a Carbolite+ sticker on the downtube, that looks like it's identical to my own Carbolite Peugeot (even looks the same size). Mine dates from 1989. You should be able to date yours from the hubs and also on the backs of the shifters like this:

7480309668_b8030d1cb8_c.jpg

It's at the low end of the Peugeot range and detractors will refer to the frame material as "Carboheavy" but I find mine to be a lovely, comfortable ride (I've done a century on it) and it's my main daily bike.

Apart from the seat post (which is something like 24mm), bottom bracket and headset are all standard sizes (i.e. no strange French sizes) so easy enough to replace if needs be.

OP
OP
Stu Plows

Stu Plows

Coming soon: Bonking on a hill near you!
Well she officially hit the road for the first time with me on it this morning. It's certainly a different experience to say the least, nonetheless an enjoyable one. Fiddly is the best way to describe it.

DD38EBE4-D97E-4D7D-9AC4-E6D3A46815D5.jpg

Dad did me a new seat as the old one was a bit battered, re-padded it for me and also took an old Specialized one apart for me as that too was looking a bit sorry for itself...

7fceddd7-074a-48f9-ad91-cacf0faecafe.jpg
d58129fb-0ecf-484f-a95f-9a92e058a946.jpg

Cleaned the brakes up since the photo so they look nice and shiney, as does the derailleur.

The big chainring seems to be slightly warped and thus, that is my next port of call, otherwise I will go through no end of chains.

There's some marks and patches on the frame that won't scrub out and so, I may get it resprayed. It all depends how much I want to throw at this. If anything, it has taught me a lot about maintenance, which is good.

Top Bottom